Exclusive interview with Cybele

Exclusive interview with Cybele

An Interview with Cybele

15

What inspired your passion for music?

When I was just a few months old, I used to accompany my Mother who took my older brother to Music Together classes in which we sang nursery rhymes and danced around. When I was about 11 months old, at least this is how the story goes, my mother heard me hum a tune I heard once in perfect pitch. When we moved to China, my mother wanted to further nurture our love for music, so she hosted music classes for us and the neighborhood children. From then on I began discovering artists ranging from ABBA, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, and Christina Aguilera. I took every opportunity I could to sing and perform, including playing leads in school plays. I broke out at the tender age of 10 when I won a singing competition and CCTV which gave the winner a chance to perform on Chinese National Television for one of the most watched shows in the world. This performance really helped plant the idea in my head that music was a possible career. This truly helped me to recognize that what seemed impossible before was finally possible now. From then on, I kept singing, writing, dancing, and just perfecting my craft.

What are your goals for 2019?

Specifically for 2019, or can it be in the near future as well? In the near future, I really hope to be able to produce and fully record my album and get signed to a label to promote my material on a larger platform. I'm also hoping that one day, I will be a key component in the joining of the music audience from the East and the West and be a pioneer for a new genre of music that will include more diverse sounds. However, my goals are not purely based on the music; they are also based on the impact that my music will have. As I gradually grow my platform as an artist, I want to discuss more issues regarding the improvement of human rights on a larger scale. What becomes increasingly worrisome for me is the growing starvation rate of humans on the earth every year. For instance, the human race as a whole produces enough food to sustain 10 billion lives annually, yet millions die from hunger every year. What can we be doing more to change this?

How do you feel about connecting with your fans via social media?

Honestly, it's so amazing to see how the material I write touches people or to see that hard labor has paid off. It's the best feeling when you write a song and someone says "I can relate 100% thank you for voicing exactly how I feel". There is no way to put into words that sentiment that you receive once you know that someone appreciates what you have done and feels that you, a mere person, has changed someone's perspective on life and the world. And social media is so great for this because the fan could be anywhere in the world and you could still share a meaningful connection with just a sweet comment or a direct message. These new platforms have completely facilitated that communication process. I love talking with them so much.

What's your favorite quote?

I have so many quotes that I love. So many inspirational quotes on my wall, my hallways, my bathroom mirror. Many of them are motivational because on the days you feel down, sometimes you need a little reminder of why you started. I would say the one quote that perfectly embodies how I feel is "You can't add days to your life, but you can add more life to your days." This also reminds me that there is no excuse for wasting time. There is no excuse for doing things that don't fill you up and make you whole. There is not enough time to throw it out the window. You have to appreciate life at the moment and make sure that every single minute that you are achieving something, you are actively making your life easier for yourself in the long run.

How do you feel about the early success with the track Anything?

I have received much praise for my recent track Anything, which I'm so grateful for. Whether the comments are from a fifteen-year-old or an eighty-year-old, I'm so blessed to have listeners who are keen on what I'm going to release next. It is so rewarding to have people come up to you or write to you saying that they can't get your song out of their head or that they dance to it every morning. I'm so blessed to have supporters for this song and I'm very proud of my work on it, but I am most happy that other people can find joy from it. Thank you, thank you to all of my supporters and fans.