Many students have kissed their college careers goodbye as graduation is over and summer is in full swing. They are saying goodbye to their old and familiar lifestyles as they prepare to move onto something bigger. They are officially stepping out into the adult world.

Although it is a very great accomplishment to have graduated from college and made it through four years of difficult classes, breakups, friendships, hardships, etc., it is still something that many college students dread.

As a rising senior in college, I knew many people who were graduating this past May. When I asked them how they were feeling to be graduating, many had somewhat mixed feelings. However, I noticed something that was a consistent pattern with everyone I asked: No one seemed to really be thrilled about the fact that they were graduating.

I talked to a girl that I had many classes with throughout my years in the journalism department at Miami University. She was graduating in May, and I asked her if she was happy to be finally graduating. She said that although she was and she felt like she had made a great accomplishment, she was terrified because she didn't have a job lined up yet and she didn't know where she would be going after graduating. She said she would feel much better if she had received job offers, but so far, nothing. The future was completely unknown.

A lot of college graduates recently have been struggling to find a job within their major after graduation. According to a study reported by CNBC, more than 40 percent of college graduates take positions out of college that don't even require a degree. This is due to the fact that so many young adults out of college are trying to apply to jobs that are very competitive and more difficult to get. Since there are so many college students wanting the same type of job, it makes the number of jobs available much smaller.

I ran into an old friend as I was picking up my Chipotle one afternoon. I had worked with him on multiple projects, and he was graduating this May. I asked him if he was happy to be graduating, and he told me that he was jealous that I wasn't graduating yet. I was surprised to hear this. I thought to myself, would you really want to stay here for another whole year if you had the chance? I discovered that my friend was moving to New York City after graduation to pursue a career in digital marketing. New York City is the complete opposite of little old Oxford, Ohio, so I could imagine the challenges you would have to face and the adjustments you would have to make when moving to somewhere completely new and unfamiliar.

I am both excited and scared to graduate college. On one hand, I am excited to move on from college and start a whole new journey. On the other hand, I am afraid of the stress that comes with being a full on adult. I think it easily goes both ways, and I think a lot of college students feel a mixture of both excited and terrified.

I was talking to other students who are rising seniors as well, and they all say that they can't believe we are seniors. Everything is happening so fast, it seems. My friend once said to me, "I can't believe you're so excited to graduate. I am terrified."

I think what it comes down to is the fact that once we graduate, we will no longer be attached to this constant routine we have gotten used to for the past four years of our lives. Without realizing it, we have become so comfortable doing the same thing for so long: going to classes, hanging out with our friends on the weekends, working a part-time job, and having long winter and summer breaks. Once we graduate, we will no longer be part of a familiar routine; we will be thrown into a completely new world that is unfamiliar to us, and we will have to begin and become accustomed to a whole new routine. It is a terrifying time, but it is also exciting and leads to the future that we always hoped we would have.