Stereotypes Are Real No Matter What You Might Think

Only people that have one associated with their name notice them, though.
116

I have never been a fan of stereotypes. I dislike them mainly because it places a label on people, solely based off of a person's sex, race, religion, or personality. Instead of taking the time to get to know someone on an individual level, people make generalized assumptions based on what they "think" is relevant.

A couple of years back, I shaved my head into a "boy cut" (or at least that's what I put into Pinterest to find cute hairstyles) and suddenly I was a Lesbian. The rumors themselves never actually bothered me, it was the fact that suddenly people I thought were my friends no longer wanted to talk to me.

Looking back, I'm glad those people stopped talking to me because I realized that I don't want people like that in my life anyways. My point is, why did my hairstyle suddenly dictate my sexual orientation?

Growing up I was dubbed as the "quiet girl" in the classroom. I've always had pretty decent grades and that combined with "quiet girl" somehow meant I'm stuck up?

One time a new kid walked into my classroom and a classmate told them about me, "Oh that's Emma. She acts like she's better than everyone else." I didn't even talk to this girl, so how would she know I was stuck up?

I started cheering my sophomore year in high school. Before that time, I hadn't realized how many stereotypes were associated with the sport. For some reason, cheerleaders are automatically referred to as "dumb blondes".

Nevermind the fact that at most schools you have to have a minimum GPA to play a sport. Cheerleaders do all the same stuff everyone else does in class, but regularly throw people above our heads at the same time (I'm a base if you hadn't figured out!)

For some reason when a girl is independent and can handle her own, she's snobby? I understand people may be embarrassed when I tell them "Oh! No problem! I've got it!" or "It's okay, you don't have to!" but I honestly do "have it" and I enjoy doing stuff on my own.

I like not having to rely on anyone else, that's just how I've been brought up. There are occasions when I will let someone help me or do something for me, but it's a choice that I make. I need to point out at this point that when someone offers to help me, I am never rude.

I'm actually insanely nice about it and end up usually making a joke about the weather afterward (that's probably my awkwardness speaking.)

There are so many other stereotypes that people deal with on a daily basis. The ones I mentioned are just the ones I have dealt with in my life. I asked a group of my friends about what stereotypes they've faced and the responses were shocking.