Exactly How Complicated Is It?

Exactly How Complicated Is It?

12

Relationships are complicated to begin with, but college tends to completely change the rules for dating. I think everyone knows what I mean. College has extended the list of relationship statuses far beyond Facebook at this point. Sometimes Facebook’s “It’s Complicated” relationship can’t even describe it. That is why it’s important to define these different statuses.

1.    Single

This seems obvious to say, but a single person is someone who does not have a significant other. At all. These people can feel free to flirt and hookup and do whatever else they please.

2.    In a Relationship (including Married)

This is a completely monogamous relationship. They ALWAYS go home from the bar together.  Hooking up with other people is a definite no. Flirting, however, is kind of a gray area that needs to be discussed between the two members of the relationship, because no one wants to deal with a very jealous significant other. Not the person in the relationship or the person they’re flirting with. I promise.

3.    “Talking”

This term applies to two people that talk on a relatively consistent basis and may hook up, but it is definitely non-exclusive. These people may run into each other while they are out, but they don’t go out together or go on dates. Someone your friend has talked to/is talking to is most likely off limits for you.

4.    Dating

Two people are “dating” when they talk consistently and have been more than one official date. This situation is more exclusive than “talking,” but not full-on monogamy. That being said, rules for hooking up with other people are based more on personal preferences and what has been discussed between the two people dating. Flirting is completely acceptable. I recommend discussing future intentions for this situation at some point, as well. Definitely off limits to friends.

5.    Friends with Benefits

These are two people that consider themselves friends, hang out non-sexually often, and hook up non-exclusively on a need-to-satisfy-some-needs basis. This is both the best and worst arrangement for someone who isn’t looking for an exclusive relationship because you face the possibility of ruining the friendship, yet you have someone to hook up with as consistently as you’d like and you are friends. There is definitely a possibility for one or both of these people to develop feelings. Is this mutually beneficial or mutually destructive? Hmm…

6.    Casual Hook Up (aka Booty Call)

These are two people that hook up on a need-to-satisfy-some-needs basis but are not friends. It is usually just physical, and DEFINITELY not exclusive but more than a one night stand. As a friend, I’d say avoid getting involved. Also, the terms of this arrangement are pretty straightforward; keep that in mind.

Whether you’re single, in a relationship, or somewhere in between, relationships, especially non-relationships, are complicated. Just remember, this is college, and we’re here to have fun.  Just not too much fun, if you know what I mean.