Everytown For Gun Safety Is Informing The Public

Everytown For Gun Safety Is Informing The Public In All The Right Ways

The organization is working hard to inform people about the gun violence epidemic through effective means of communication.

9

Everytown for Gun Safety's use of strategic and subtle cues and ethical appeal to bipartisan agreement ultimately seeks to connect people to the cause and unite them under the common goal of informing people of the true horrors of gun violence in America and supporting the case for common-sense gun control in order to save lives.

Throughout the page titled "Learn What It Takes to Keep America Safe," Everytown for Gun Safety has placed points of reference for viewers of the website as a whole to engage in the organization itself. The subheadings of Who We Are, Act, Learn, Shop, Press, and Donate, backed up in bright red, are subtleties which are there to draw viewers attention. Clicking on the different headings brings one to web pages which provide more information on how gun violence impacts the lives of Americans, allows viewers to see how they can become involved, and ultimately makes them invested in issue and the cause. Furthermore, the Shop and Donate tabs attempt to draw in those who may be interested in purchasing merchandise with the Everytown for Gun Safety's insignia, and are outright bids for money donated to the cause.

At the top left-hand corner of the page is a small section which reads Follow Us, and the icons of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr. By showing proof of their modern involvement in social media, Everytown for Gun Safety is broadcasting that it is a large, connected organization, in hopes of attracting members of the younger generation.

By utilizing the rhetorical appeal of ethos to highlight their effort to obtain bipartisan gun control in the United States, Everytown for Gun Safety seeks to pose itself as an organization that is credible due to its focus on solving a widespread issue. The web page "Learn What It Takes to Keep America Safe" states "Support for the Second Amendment goes hand-in-hand with keeping guns away from criminals and other dangerous people. But it's simply too easy for the wrong people to get guns, leading to all kinds of violence-from deadly domestic abuse to suicide and school shootings."

The organization outright highlights one of the most common objections to gun control by supporters of the Second Amendment in America, that by even with more gun control, criminals will still be able to get guns.

However, by clearly stating that it is too easy for dangerous people to get guns, which results in gun violence, they back up their cause and fight for gun control. In continuum, the web page also states "Research shows-and cops will tell you- that common-sense public safety laws reduce gun violence and save lives." According to The Washington Post, a Duke study "... found that policies that prohibited people with a domestic-violence restraining order from owning a gun are associated with a 7 percent reduction in intimate-partner homicides." Everytown for Gun Safety's declaration that they can end the thousands of gun deaths yearly in the United States, through common-sense gun control, adds to their establishment as a credible organization due to their desire to save lives and prioritization of helping others over quarreling in the political arena.

Everytown for Gun Safety is confident in our nation and the American people's ability to reduce the horrific numbers of gun violence from the Atlantic to the Pacific, "And we can do it in a way that still respects the Second Amendment."

Everytown for Gun Safety's utilization of an informative and thought-provoking infographic, a professionally-designed layout, and subtle yet strategic cues compile a successful web page which is informative and moving. By appealing to viewers urgency in wanting to become involved, the organization's web page utilized logos. In appealing to viewers emotions, Everytown for Gun Safety reaches out by declaring that this problem impacts people of all races, ages, backgrounds, income levels, and political party affiliations. The vivid imagery present in the infographic ultimately was effective in driving the factual information home and helped to convey the importance of the organization.