Everything You Need to Know About Liposuction

Need to Know About Liposuction

44

Liposuction is the most popular cosmetic surgery as there were more than 18 million procedures performed last year. It is the surgical removal of fat using the suction technique. This procedure is performed in specific areas of the body such as arms, thighs, buttocks, neck, hips, abdomen, etc. this article will cover all the important information you need to know about liposuction.

What is liposuction?

Some stubborn fats in some areas of the body are hard to reduce through diet or exercise. Liposuction, also known as lipoplasty, is the procedure that helps you get rid of this unwanted and excessive fat. Liposuction London is now one of the most popular and effective treatments. Both men and women find it effective and quick. However, it is not for people with obesity. Not more than 10 pounds of fat can be removed from the overall body through liposuction.

This procedure contours and reshapes the body by breaking down and removing the fat layer. This procedure is not the weight loss surgery, it is the way to remove the excess fat from some parts in healthy adults. If you are overweight, you should seek other ways of fat removal such as gastric bypass, exercise, diet etc. You may be eligible for liposuction if you have excessive fat in specific parts of your body, but overall, you have a stable weight.

Why is Liposuction done?

Liposuction is used to remove fat from the abdomen, buttocks, arms, hips, neck, chest and back. In addition, it can sometimes be used for breast reduction and gynecomastia. Liposuction reduces the number of fat cells, creating fat pockets in some areas of the body. The results a patient can expect are permanent as long as weight is maintained. After the process of liposuction, the skin of that area may appear loose if you have thin skin. Otherwise, it will look smooth. After the removal of fat, the skin of that area moulds itself to the new contour. However, it does not treat the cellulite in the thighs and doesn't remove stretch marks.

How does liposuction work?

Before starting the procedure, the surgeon marks circles and lines to the areas of your body that have fat pockets. The surgeon will select the technique based on the areas to be treated. Your before and after photos also may be taken to show you the result. There are four common types of liposuctions, and the type will be selected based on the treatment goals.

The four types of liposuctions are:

1. Tumescent liposuction
  2. Ultrasound-assisted liposuction (UAL)
  3. Laser-assisted liposuction (LAL)
  4. Power-assisted liposuction (PAL)

While starting the procedure, you will be given local or regional anaesthesia to help you remain calm. The team will monitor your blood pressure, heart rate and body oxygen level before starting the procedure. Depending on the amount of fat in particular areas, the liposuction treatment may last up to several hours. Your medical personnel will monitor your recovery after the procedure to make sure you are alright.

What is the recovery involved in liposuction?

You will experience some pain, swelling, and bruising after the procedure, and that's normal. Your surgeon will prescribe some medications, diet, precautions to help you speed up your recovery. The medications will reduce the pain and reduce the risk of infection. You will need to wear compression garments to control the swelling for a few weeks. The recovery will not take more than 5 weeks. After 2 weeks of treatment, you can get back to your normal routine. During the recovery period, you may experience some irregularities in contour as the fat will take time to settle into position.

After getting the liposuction treatment, the swelling will be gone within a few weeks. The treated area will look less bulky and with a leaner appearance. Though it is natural for skin to lose firmness with ageing, the results of liposuction are long-lasting and permanent as long as the overall weight is well maintained. You can make results more permanent by following a healthy lifestyle, such as regular exercise, a healthy diet, a good sleep routine etc. however, if you do not maintain the weight and gain more weight after the liposuction, the fat will distribution in your body may change and may accumulate around the areas that were originally treated.

Conclusion

Liposuction is the fat removal surgery that involves the suction technique through tubes. It is the most popular fat removal procedure all over the world. You must be in good health if you are considering liposuction. The health complications such as diabetes, restricted blood flow, or a weak immune system can complicate the surgery. Before opting for the procedure, discuss with your surgeon what to expect, what diet to follow, and what medications you will take. Study all the techniques and make sure to choose the expert surgeon.