Everything We Forget To Thank Dad For

Everything We Forget To Thank Dad For

The little things become the biggest things

166
Everything We Forget To Thank Dad For

The older I get, the more independent I think I am. I can make my own money, cook my own food, drive myself anywhere I want to go, and at 21, I can pretty much make any big decision that I want to. But it is by no chance that I am who I am today because of my parents (and the grace of God). This Father’s Day weekend, I have spent time reflecting on the special man that had a lot to do with making me the Allison I am today. Instead of thinking of a list of all the obvious things I have to thank my dad for, I decided to think of all the small things I can thank my dad for because, before my eyes, they have become the big things.

1. My Mechanic

It’s like God knew I was planning on writing about my dad this week because I had two car panics this week. I’ve seen way too much of my "Check Engine" light this week, and both times, the first person I call is my dad. There’s nothing that makes me feel more helpless (and clueless) than car problems, but I know my dad will come rescue me in a heartbeat.

2. My Pool Boy

One of my greatest joys of summer is our backyard pool, and every week I find my dad taking care of the pool to make sure it’s just right. He knows how much I love it, and it means so much to me that he wants to do everything he can to make sure it’s in the best condition. I definitely appreciate the new pool float he brings me home every week, too!

3. My Handyman

I really don’t think there’s anything I could break that my dad couldn’t fix. He’s definitely Mr. Fix-It.

4. My Blue Eyes

The first thing people always notice about me is my blue eyes, and every time I go out, I can almost guarantee I will get a comment about them. My go-to response is always, “Thanks! I get them from my dad!” So thanks, dad, for the Carolina blue eyes, and I'm glad we can share them.

5. My DJ

Every weekend at the Ormans is always accompanied by a killer playlist. My dad has a speaker for every occasion and venue, and you are always sure to hear the latest hits and the most beloved classics.

6. My Sitcom Partner

He's given me an appreciation for classic sitcoms. Usually during weekday nights, you can find dad and me bonding over old episodes of "King of Queens" and "Seinfeld" -- one of my favorite things for us to do together. No matter how many times we've seen every episode of both shows, we always laugh.

7. My Personal Chef

If you’ve ever been to my house and had anything my dad has cooked, then I don’t need to explain this any further. Mike Orman is a master on the grill and has honestly never created anything that I haven’t loved. I should probably start taking notes in case I ever have to start to figure out this cooking thing on my own...

8. My Panther Fanatic

If you know anything at all about my dad, you know he is the biggest Carolina Panthers fan to walk this earth. Every piece of clothing he owns has a Panthers logo on it. His truck is decked out (to the extreme) in Panther pride. Just when I think we have every possible Panthers product, my dad will come home with a Panthers spatula or dog collar. He’s made Cam Newton feel like a member of our family and I love it. Our family has made so many unforgettable memories this past year cheering the Panthers all the way to the Super Bowl and getting to experience games right in Bank of America Stadium. I will always vividly remembering being at the NFC Championship (in the freezing cold) and witnessing the childlike excitement and thrill of the victory for my dad. I now have a family obligation to be a die-hard Panthers fan for the rest of my life.

There’s no better leader of Team Orman than Mike Orman. I thank God every day for blessing me with a father who works so hard to provide for me and love me. If you are lucky enough to be with your father this Father’s Day weekend, I urge you to hug him tight and let him know just how much you appreciate him.