Everyone Has A Story

Everyone Has A Story, We Just Need To Listen

My friend, Tyler Trent

492
Krista Bauer

For months I have wanted to write this article. Sometimes it's just best to meditate and pray to God to give me the words. You see I want to write this article and do it justice since it's about someone so special to me, Tyler Trent.

Tyler is a Purdue student, the same grade as me. He's involved in almost everything at Purdue University including writing for the Exponent and an avid sports fan. He is on the Purdue Cancer Research Board and PUDM. Tyler is a cancer survivor and is currently fighting Osteosarcoma for the third time.

But to me, he's Tyler Trent, my friend. Although I have known him less than a year, he has taught me so much about life. The first time I met Tyler was at a PUDM meeting when he told us his story back in October of 2017. At this point, I learned a great deal about being courageous. It only takes one leap of faith to do something really big.

From there on during my freshman year, I would see Tyler at Ford dining court almost weekly, sometimes joining him for dinner. We would talk sports (including the Colts, how much I didn't like the Cubs, and the Indy 500), our families back home, Purdue life, and our faith. In every encounter at the dining court, he always had a smile on his face.

Tyler has taught me a lesson about how to treat others. One of my favorite quotes of his is "Everyone has a story, we just need someone to listen." Whenever you talk to Tyler, he never just starts talking about himself. He always asks how you are, how your week is if you're going to the basketball game Friday, etc. He genuinely wants to know how you are. This is definitely a change of pace in our society today.

I have learned from Tyler how to put others before yourself. Even in his own battle, he is still raising money for Pediatric cancer research.

In all of this, Tyler hasn't lost his faith in Jesus. His scripture is "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. God is truly speaking through Tyler and his battle. All of this is to his glory. You're amazing, Tyler Trent and I'm blessed to call you a friend.

#TylerStrong