Everyone Isn't Beautiful, That's OK

Everyone Isn't Beautiful, That's OK

Saying "everyone is beautiful" is counterproductive to the feminist movement.
60

We live in a society that is obsessed with beauty. It is apparent in everything that we do and talk about. Everything worth creating and seeing and appreciating has to be deemed beautiful. We naturally pass this precaution from inanimate objects to humans. We create standards for what it means to be beautiful or aesthetically pleasing in our culture. These standards are often criticized for being unrealistic and exclusive and mentally damaging. As feminism continues to promote equality among genders, and particularly fight the challenges that women face in leading successful, oppression free lives, fighting society's beauty standards has been a big topic of conversation. There have been thousands of articles written and advertisements screened and campaigns began that remind young women that they are all beautiful and that society is the one that is ugly. While these movements are empowering and are no doubt a comfort to many girls who feel inadequate, it is not a solution to the problem, that we was women and as a greater society are facing. Telling everyone that they are beautiful and equal in that beauty is like putting a bandaid on a broken arm, when really we need to be setting the bone.

While it is painful, it will eventually allow us to heal when we admit that the truth is, people come in varying levels of beauty. While our perception of beauty has clearly been distorted by Photoshop, and that is a totally different conversation topic, it would be ignorant to say that people find some traits more pretty that others. The problem with this biological statement is not that it alienates people who do not match its definition, it is that we allow it do so. The truth is, we should not let the definition of beauty have so much power over our lives. We do not let anything else control us like that. Sure, we might not like to hear that we are not a funny or outgoing or observant as another person but we accept that that is how we are made and our worth is defined by our humanity, not our skills. We are equal innately, not in every single on of our abilities.

And that is how we should view beauty. We must eliminate the notion that for things to be okay, for us to fight the system, that we have to insist that we all equal in our beauty. In order to overcome something that attempts to divide us, we as women and member of society need to be okay with the idea that we might not be the most beautiful, just like we are not the most of something else. We should appreciate that we can be and are just as worthy, just as strong and just as supportive of others, whether we are the best at something or not. Instead of insisting that we are all equally beautiful, we should take this superficial trait off of the ridiculously high pedestal that we put it on and realize that there are various ranges of beauty just as we range in everything as humans. We should fight to stop letting this one trait have so much effect on our self esteem. We should always remember that what matters is not how we look, but who we are- humans equal in the respect and opportunities that we deserve.