For All The Girls Who Wish They Were In Europe This Summer

Because I am one of them.
15

What I would give right now to be sipping on a cappuccino, sitting in one of those tiny wooden chairs, admiring the glory of the Duomo in the distance. To drive down the winding roads of Dubrovnik just so I could dip my toes in the Adriatic, pretending it was the last time I would ever step foot in the sea. To say that I miss Europe is the biggest understatement of my life.

After scrolling endlessly through my Instagram feed, I realized how much we envy people’s gorgeous vacations. Side note: it’s easy to smile in a photo with a beautiful backdrop. What’s not so easy is lugging your suitcase up four flights of stairs and finding out there is no air-conditioning. Of course, no one is going to post about these things. All I am trying to say is that no one’s vacation is perfect.

That’s not going to stop us from liking their photos and wishing we could copy and paste our faces on top of theirs. To all of you girls who are in Europe this summer, I am so happy that you are. It’s a magical place and I’m grateful that you decided it was worth spending your summer months somewhere further away from home. One of my best friends is going to France this summer and I am so excited for her; finally, she will understand the feeling that overcomes me when I get a stamp in my passport.

To the girls who wished they were there, don’t ponder on it too much. Quit thinking about how much money they must have spent to get there or how much gelato they must be eating. You can live vicariously through someone’s posts, but you cannot abandon your own life. You know, the one that you are living right now, in this moment.

Maybe you are working all summer and saving your money in hopes of taking a trip next year. For that, I applaud you because your efforts are going to pay off. If you’re not, then maybe you should start (especially if you clicked on this article). Chances are there are probably other great things going on in your life right now; maybe it’s time you stopped for a minute to appreciate them. Whether you’re perfecting your craft or learning that it’s okay to be vulnerable in your relationships, don’t lose sight of the present moment. Be present as much as possible.

Don’t assume that you are missing out on anything. Actually, just never assume anything. The truth of the matter is: you’re not. The Eiffel Tower surely isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, neither is the Eurail. The experiences that those girls who are in Europe right now are having were not meant for you, they were meant for them.

You are creating your own story, right now, wherever you are in the world. You are going to have your own adventure, don’t you worry. It may not be this summer, but that doesn’t mean you won’t go to Europe ten more times in your lifetime. Keep doing what you’re doing, and before you know it you’ll be eating pasta for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, too.