10 Essentials For A Comfortable, Long Flight

It’s time to catch your long flight!

114
Patrice Zhao

Hey guys, happy winter break! As I’m sitting in the plane flying to China (it’s a 15-hour straight flight from LA to my city in China), I think my over three years of experience in flying (international) long flights should qualify me to give some advice on: what to bring to have a comfortable long flight! Now, sit tight and read through the list. Next time when you are packing, take out this list to ensure yourself a comfy and cozy flight!

1. Sweatpants & shirt

The first time I flew from China to the US, I was still thinking about looking cute on the flight. Skinny jeans and poke-dot shirt were my first set of outfit for my very first international flight. You know, what if I meet “the one” on this plane like they always do in the classic movies?

But now, let me just tell you, from over three years of personal experience, having comfortable clothes to wear on a plane is way more essential than meeting a random cute boy/girl! Sweatpants and sweatshirt are the way to go, because they keep you warm and allow you to sit and stretch without feeling like your blood circulation is going to be cut off!

2. Light Jacket

Usually within an hour or two, the aircraft would get really cold. Even though most airlines provide free blankets (especially when you’re flying internationally), these blankets are usually super thin and small! Even for me, a 5’3 girl, the blanket would only cover my whole body when I curl myself up into a human ball!

So, bring a light jacket that you can wear over your sweatshirt to keep your upper body warm, and use the blanket for your poor legs! My go-to is an oversized denim jacket!

3. Flip-flops / Sandals

I recently had this epiphany of bringing flip-flops or sandals on to the plane. I used to either wear sneakers or UGG boots, depending on the weather of destination.

However, it’s always such a hassle to take off your shoes (to let your poor feet breathe) only to put them back on (because you have to use the bathroom). Bringing a pair of flip-flops or sandals in your carry-on luggage (aka, your backpack) would solve this problem!

They are generally light-weight and small, but they’d allow your feet to have much more freedom on a long flight! I highly recommend Birkenstock! They are not only comfortable but also stylish, even when you have socks on (especially if you’re wearing high socks, or specially occasion socks, like the Christmas socks I’m wearing right now)!

4. Headphones (preferably soundproof ones)

Headphones are essential for long flights, especially for international ones! If you don’t know, longer flights usually provide in-flight entertainments, including movies, TV shows, music, and simple games. Usually, the airlines would provide headphones. However, these headphones are mostly very crappy. They don’t really fit human heads really well, plus they’re very light, so they always come off. The sound quality is pretty bad, so you can barely hear anything (an airplane in air is usually quite loud), unless you turn the volume all the way up. A pair of personal headphones would easily solve the problems, especially if they’re soundproof ones!

5. Water bottle

It is very easy to get dehydrated on the plane because the air is very dry. I don’t really know the scientific explanation for this but just trust me on this. You’d basically be constantly thirsty. You might be able to endure the thirst for a couple hours, but if it is a long one, you might consider bringing a water bottle. You might ask, they serve drinks, including water, on the plane, why do I need to bring a water bottle?

Oh, the cups they use are so small that anyone can easily chug a whole cup and still feel thirsty. And then, you have to wait for a long time, until the next service. To make sure you’re hydrated throughout the flight, bring your own water bottle and ask for a fill-up, every time the drink cart pass by you. Just remember, dump all the water out of your bottle before you go through security checkpoint!

6. Hand lotion & Lip balm

On the other side of this same coin called “hydration”, hand lotion and lip balm will tackle the problem from outside. I’ve had so many experiences when my hands and lips are so dry that they start to itch or even chap! So, make sure you bring lotion and lip balm with you. If you live in LA like I do, you should have these on a daily basis already. A bonus benefit of lotion is to help you relax and fall asleep more easily (if it has a soothing smell)! Sleep is essential on a long flight!

7. Easy-to-read book

Long flights can get really boring. You can’t text your BFFs, or watch your favorite Netflix shows, or scroll through social media. If you also happen to have watched all the movies (that interest you) the airline provides, then I guess you’re out of luck.

No, just kidding.

This is where old-fashioned hard copy books come in! However, please do yourself a favor and don’t bring any study materials with you. Trust me, when you’re confined in a tiny seat for over three hours, the last thing you want to do is to tackle academic issues. I’ve tried to study on long flights for countless times, and I always fail.

They always leave me so tired and drained, after I barely read for 10 min. So, just have mercy on yourself and bring an easy-to-read book that you know you’d enjoy! When I say “easy-to-read”, I really meant it! Taking something like a fiction, short story collection, or children’s literature, etc. instead of books like “The Odyssey." Unless, of course, you truly enjoy the hard-to-digest books.

I brought a picture book with me this time, haha!

8.Sudoku, word puzzles or coloring book (or anything that’s fun and engaging to you)

If you’re not a bookworm, then try bringing a Sudoku book with you. The one I have right now, I got it almost a year ago at an airport for $4.99. I still have over half needs to be done. I love Sudoku so much, because they are usually just the right challenge to keep me engaged but wouldn’t exhaust me like school work.

Something similar to Sudoku, I think, is word puzzles. The feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction is the common ground of both Sudoku and word puzzle. If you think you’re not very math savvy, maybe give word puzzle a try! Fret not, if you’re thinking “I don’t want to be thinking hard on a tiring long flight”. My other recommendation would be coloring book.

Get a super simple one. No need to get too fancy. Just bring a couple color pencils with you, plug in your headphones to listen to some good music or podcast, and free your mind into the world of coloring.

9. Hair tie

This one is optional and really only apply to people with long hair. If you are one of them, you know how your hair get frizzy and all over the place, because of the dry air (and possibly static) on the plane. Back when I had long hair, it would always get into my face and make my nose itch. One day, I finally found the perfect solution!

Bring a hair tie. Don’t just put your hair in a ponytail (been there, done that! It doesn’t work!). To prevent your hair from going crazy, you should braid it to keep it tightly in place. So, if you have long hair, give it a try!

10. Bonus tip: pick the aisle seat!

I know window seat is always exciting and beautiful, because you get to see the plane ascending and the clouds beneath you. You might even feel the urge to snap some pictures. After all, you don’t get to be “above the sky” every day!

However, when you’re on a long flight, trust me, the last thing you want is to confine yourself in a non-isle seat. Every time you need to use the bathroom or walk around for a stretch, you’d have to obtain the cooperation of other people in your row. Most times, especially during long flights, people tend to sleep through the trip. Then, every time you get up, you’d have to wake other people up.

If you hate to bother people like I do, a window seat will be a nightmare for your poor bladder, if nothing else. Just think about how much water you need to drink to keep yourself hydrated on the plane. And imagine how often you’d need to pee because of that. For the health of your bladder, pick isle seat.

Now whenever you’re ready, zip up your suitcases and carry-on bags. It’s time to catch your long flight!