5 Essential John Mayer Tracks You Need In Your Life

This is a tribute to one of my favorite artists and all that beautiful music.

38
Annie Leibovitz

John Mayer was born October 13, 1977 in Connecticut. The second child of Richard and Margaret Mayer, John first became fascinated with the guitar at 13 and by his mid to late teens, he was writing his own songs. He attended Berklee College of Music in Boston for a year before dropping out to pursue music. His first real beak into the music industry came in 2000 at a music festival in Texas. Soon after, his first album Room For Squares was released to rave reviews and eventually went platinum more than once. Since then Mayer has enjoyed a steady career with hits to spare.

1. Slow Dancing In a Burning Room - 2006

"We're going down and you can see it too. We're going down and you know that we're doomed. My dear, we're slow dancing in a burning room"

Featured on Mayer's third studio album Continuum. Slow Dancing In a Burning Room is without a doubt one of my favorite song of his, and probably my favorite song of all time. It's melancholy but not depressing. This classic track has a sort of effortless beauty and flow to it.The song is about a relationship that's at it's end. Both parties are aware of this but can't seem to bring themselves to let go. It's a very real and visceral ballad full of strong imagery and tragic passion.

2. Daughters -2003

"Fathers, be good to your daughters, Daughters will love like you do, Girls become lovers who turn into mothers so mothers be good to your daughters too"

Much of Mayer's music is about growing older and moving through life's cycles. Daughters is a prime example of that. Found on his second studio album Heavier Things, Daughters is the quintessential John Mayer song, simple lyrics with a clear message featuring a dynamic acoustic sound.

3. I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You) - 2006

"I will beg my way into your garden then I'll break my way out when it rains. Just to get back to the place where I started so I can want you back all over again"

I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You) is another staple on Continuum. It wasn't one of Mayer's biggest hits, but serves as something of an undiscovered of his earlier career. As usual Mayer's soulful lyrics flow like liquid poetry when combined with his signature guitar style, make this one a certified classic.

4. Half Of My Heart - 2009

"Half of my heart is a shotgun wedding to a bride with a paper ring. And half of my heart is the part of a man who's never truly loved anything."

From his fourth studio album Battle Studies, a collection which premiered to positive reviews and would eventually go platinum, Half of My Heart is an upbeat ballad with a bittersweet undertone. Though not broadcast, this song actually includes Mayer's then-flame Taylor Swift as a featured artist on the chorus. Perhaps this song was a bit of an anthem and foreshadowing to his relationship with Swift.

5. Your Body Is a Wonderland - 2001

"You tell me where to go and though I might leave to find it I'll never let your head hit the bed without my hand behind it"

I close this list with one John Mayer's very first hits. Your Body Is a Wonderland was featured on Mayer's very first studio album Room For Squares. This sweet, sensual ballad is an example of some of his earlier brilliance and when compared to his newer material, the growth is impressive.