7 Reasons You Should Enjoy Being Single
relationships

7 Reasons You Should Enjoy Being Single

I thought that being single would be the worst thing in the world until I realized that it's quite the opposite.

90
https://pixabay.com/en/woman-girl-freedom-happy-sun-591576/

When you're in a relationship, the prospect of being single or alone can be quite intimidating. It's incredibly easy to become so dependent on someone, but, let me reassure you, being single can be wonderful. Here are 7 reasons I've learned as to why you should enjoy being single at some point in your life.

1. You get to focus on yourself

Seems a little obvious, right? I know, but being able to focus on yourself is SO critical. It was something that I didn't even realize I was neglecting until I was single and started to do things for myself. Not to say that you shouldn't care about others, but never lose sight of the things that are going to benefit you as well.

2. Christmas is so much cheaper

As this Christmas season is quickly approaching and my bank account is quickly dwindling, I am thanking my lucky stars that I will not be dropping hundreds of dollars on gifts for any SO this holiday season. This means I can save the sparse amount of money that I have or maybe throw in a couple extra gifts for people in my family. Either way, it's a win-win situation.

3. You get your bed all to yourself

This is something fairly minuscule, but oh-so lovely. Yes, the thought of cuddling up in bed with the love of your life sounds nice...but sprawling out all over my bed without fear of hogging too much of the blanket sounds a lot nicer.

4. Family and friends are most important

I'll admit, in past relationships there have been times that I've put my SO above my friends and family. It can be easy to do when you're all in love and whatnot, but now I've learned to never compromise the relationships that I have with friends and family because of some boy. My family and friends are there for me no matter what, and that is something to never lose sight of.

5. You can spend your time however you like

You can probably swing this while in a relationship as well, but not without that slight thought in the back of your head as to what your SO is up to. Without having to worry about the schedule or plans of another, I get to do whatever I want whenever I want (outside of school and work, of course). It's really a wonderful thing.

6. It boosts your confidence

Developing a sense of independence has worked wonders for my confidence levels. For so long, I thought I needed to have an SO in order to feel accomplished or good about myself, but that is just not the case. Now, having been single, I've gained a lot of confidence within myself.

7. You can hangout with whoever you want without feeling guilty

No matter the amount of trust in a relationship, it would still be a little awkward/weird if I spent a ton of time with guy friends while dating. Not to say I couldn't have guy friends, but in a relationship, I wouldn't have necessarily spent one-on-one time with them very often. While being single, I can hangout with whoever. I can talk to new people I meet while I'm out at the bars and not feel any guilt.

In the (censored) words of Ariana Grande, "I'm so freakin' grateful for my ex." I most definitely am because, without them, I may have never learned all the things that I have now.