8 Perks of Being an English major

8 Perks of Being an English major

Because everyone knows that we are actually the best kind of people.

17
8 Perks of Being an English major
Bookicious

Anyone who has a major that may seem general, or not secured in the fields of science or technology, knows the struggle of being asked the same series of questions regarding the practicality of your degree. "What are you going to do with that?" and "Oh that seems fun! Are there jobs available for that?" or even "Does that make a lot of money?" are just some examples of the endless queries presented to those of us pursuing a degree in liberal arts. And while you may think of this as genuine interest in my field of study, all I hear is you telling me that my degree is seen as lower than those in STEM fields.

Don't get me wrong, science matters. Math matters. But so does literature and it is super demeaning to hear that the liberal arts are not as important as other fields.

I couldn't put a value on the hours spent crying over fictional deaths or laughing at witty remarks from the characters you follow through several books. Also, you kind of look like a badass when you can quote the likes of Shakespeare, Whitman, and Dickinson. So, in response to people who don't recognize the value of an English education, I have put together the following list of perks to being an English major.

1. You can woo prospective partners with sick pick-up tactics

"Are you a library book? Because I'm checking you out!" One of the best parts of being an English major is that there are millions of references to beautiful and handsome people in literature just waiting to be referenced while trying to impress that cute girl who sits across the class from you. Books are the best wingmen! There are so many quotes in poems and literature that no matter where you are trying to pick up your next boo, you are sure to win their heart with your well planned and rehearsed line from Jane Austen or Nicholas Sparks...or E.L. James (if that is what you are into).

2. You can weave your way through any debate

My favorite part of arguing is winning. As it is for everyone, right? And the best way to win is to talk your way through it. Being able to use your extensive vocabulary to corner your opponent is a definite plus, which is a skill that comes with an education comprised of discussions and extensive analysis. English majors are fantastic arguers.

3. You have a never ending supply of insults

"Thou art a boil, a plague sore!" Along with winning all the arguments, English majors are very creative when it comes to insulting you. Sometimes an English major may throw words together in such wonderfully original ways that the victim is completely blind-sighted. Other times, intellectuals may use such large words that it insults you doubly because you don't even know what it means. You just know it is bad. Either way, if you end up on the receiving end of these intense insults, you will be amazed at the amazing craft that an English major approaches insults with.

4. Writing papers becomes second nature

College is hard because you are trying to pile a ton of knowledge into a short amount of time, causing you to be busy ALL THE TIME. Your time becomes incredibly valuable. If you are in classes that require time-consuming assignments, like papers, managing your time becomes very difficult. If you are an English major, this isn't a problem! Knocking out a quality paper can be done in a flash thanks to all the practice!

5. You can change your life plan on a whim and your major is still useful

Thanks to all the options out there for a career path, choosing one right now sometimes feels impossible. Luckily for English majors, our degree can apply to a multitude of things, so even if we change our paths we will more than likely never regret our education.

6.Less finals that you have to show up for

Finals week is the worst. Thanks to the nature of English as a subject, there are less topics and ways to test one's knowledge in a one hour period. Therefore, we often just get assigned enormous papers for finals....yay. It is nice however when your roommates have to get up and go out to take their finals while you get to work in your warm room.

7. Your homework includes a snuggie and a cup of coffee

That being said, your homework with an English degree often can be done from your comfy chair, curled up under a blanket. Our homework often includes doing what we love most: vegging out with a good book. Considering how much time we dedicate to reading, it only makes sense that we do so in utter comfort.

8. It never loses value

Ultimately, we will always have language and literature. The knowledge and skills earned in an English degree is never going to be useless. We have a connection with the world and culture that those who never read don't, and that is priceless.