No, I Don't Want To Be A Teacher With My English Major

But I'll be honest and say I haven't got the clearest idea of what I want to do with my major -- yet!

27

Let's be upfront here -- every major comes with its typical, cliche path to a career, that EVERYONE seems to question you about; English is no different.

And I get it. You probably don't think I have many options in the world, other than getting myself into some form of education. While I know a lot of English majors going into the education field, it's safe to say it's one of many misconceptions I have as an English major. So, here are some clarifications:

I don't want to become a teacher

Becoming a professor, if anything, has crossed my mind from time to time, but I'll be damned if I were ever stuck in a classroom of babbling babies or pre-pubescent preteens. As much as I give them credit, teachers just r e a l l y don't get paid enough for the people, and the incidents they have to go through on the daily. But hey, at least they'll be having it way better than me when it comes to summer vacations.

I hate (some) reading

But more specifically, the kinds of pieces with dense, academic, border-line Latin writing that was translated from a piece of text older than my grandmother. Throw me anything else but that and I'll be more than glad to read it.

Now in comes the bUt YoUrE SuPpOsEd To KnOw HoW tO ReAd iT! thoughts. They come a lot more often than they should, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't embarrass me. But just because the words are in English, and they're strung together in grammatically sound sentences, doesn't always mean they're able to be read (or at least, understood) (I'm looking at you, Plato, and The Republic)

I still don't know when to properly use a comma

But hey, it's a learning process is it not? I am 100% the kind of person to throw a comma in every possible location, useful or not. However, as the years have gone by, I've learned that I'm not the only one! Fellow English majors, don't condemn me for not having the most pristine and proper use of grammar or punctuation; I can assure you that I'm trying my hardest here.

I'm not worried about not finding a job with my degree

Because believe it or not, good writing, excellent persuasion skills, and effective communication are skills that are not only taught to English majors, but also key elements that job fields are looking for.

There is more to being an English major than reading books and writing essays

In two years alone, I have already experimented with literature, classic stories, poetry, drama plays, nonfiction, fiction, sci-fi flash fiction, and a dozen more. I won't be getting my degree solely through writing persuasive essays and analyzing pieces of text. English, as a whole, is one of the most diverse forms of practice that can range from anything one could desire.

I don't know what I want to do with my major

Job wise, at least. Despite not fitting into the standard norms that an English major may have, I know my love for the field is still there. I'm not interested in finding a specific job, but rather any job that involves what I love to do. I know that with enough dedication, I can perfect my craft as an English major and a dream job will find its way to me, naturally.