6 Empowering Ladies Who Make Empowering Music
Music

These ladies make great music to keep you going.

49

As a woman, sometimes I think the weight of societal expectations can be heavy. They can make you forget who you really are and how much power you actually have. And that's an absolutely terrible way to feel.

Nobody should ever have to go through that. However, there are ways to help you feel empowered. One way I always try to help myself back to a place of realization is through music. And these are the people I listen to when I need a pick-me-up:

Billie Eilish

Flickr Creative Commons

Okay, yes, she's still a teenager BUT she makes music that makes me feel cool. Her voice is so smooth. And her lyrics are thoughtful and so advanced.

Also, with lines like "You better love me cause you're just a clone," I think she's secured her place in my empowerment playlist. That lyric is from a song called COPYCAT, where she's talking about someone who was trying so hard to be her. But the message I get from it is there's only one you, so don't worry about anyone else.

Ariana Grande

I will honestly admit that I haven't always been the biggest fan of hers. I love her voice and she has all the talent in the world, but she's grown on me and her music really is out here to heal her and help heal other people, which is beautiful. She literally has a song called God Is A Woman; now what's more empowering than that?!

Rihanna

The Concert for Valor

Rihanna is the queen on not caring about what anyone says or thinks. She does whatever she wants. Creates whatever she wants. She has all of the power.

I think she brings that energy to her music in a major way. She says WHATEVER she wants. Bitch Better Have My Money? S&M? Breakin Dishes? She really does not care and I love that about her. I want to adopt that beautiful carefree spirit that she has, because she's always so honest and fun.

Little Mix

Well, technically these are 4 ladies, not one, but still. If you're having a bad day, going through a breakup, or just really wanna do the thing that teenage girls do in movies where they dance around their rooms, listen to Little Mix! Their harmonies are the prettiest things I have ever heard in my entire life.

And their content is all about having fun, living life and being a strong and in control woman. One of my favorite lines is "Your the man, but I got the power," because wow yes.

Lana Del Rey

Wow, queen of the world, truly. She is always making music about what she wants and the way she sees the world. It's all about her fantasies and her dream world, which I love. You can also hear the rock n roll influences and that's so cool, I think. One of my favorite lyrics she's ever written is "yeah, my boyfriend's pretty cool but he's not as cool as me." I literally laugh every time I hear that.

Halsey

Flickr Creative Commons

The love of my life, Halsey, is definitely one of the strongest, most empowering people to exist. She's been public about the abuse she'd been through as well as her miscarriage. She never shies away from talking about everything. Especially songs like 100 Letters, Don't Play, and Angel On Fire. They're all just her talking about the things she's been through and things that may still affect her but how she's become stronger and isn't going to let them hinder her anymore.

These are all women that I admire as people. They're my role models. As everyone knows, I really love music. It really does have the ability to change your perception and to inspire you.

And the fact that these ladies are using their voices to help and inspire others is exceptional and beautiful.