I Asked 6 People How Emotional Support Animals Have Changed Their Lives And Here Are Their Words

ESAs' have made life mangable for these college students.

306
Sarah Moore

Emotional Support Animals are a very important part of many people’s lives. They come in many shapes and sizes and help people differently. As we all know, people have different ways of coping with things. Luckily for some, an ESA is a great way to manage.

Having an ESA is not just an excuse for someone to bring a pet everywhere. These animals, many of which are trained, help those in need live normal lives. As a girl who grew up with animals, and finds comfort in them, I find myself more often than not going to visit my friends ESA’s.

1. Sarah hasn't always believed in the effectiveness of ESA's, but Delilah has changed her life

Like a lot of the people who might be reading this, I didn’t use to believe that ESAs were a real thing. I thought they were just an excuse to have a pet in places you wouldn’t be allowed to have one otherwise.

That is until I needed one. I didn’t just want one. I needed one.

My sophomore year attending Washington State University I started to feel isolated. I tried everything from therapy, to medication, to meditation. Nothing was enough to make me not feel alone even when surrounded by people.

I used to call my parents multiple times a day in tears and feel so nauseous that I would throw up on my way to class in the mornings. After months of this, we were ready to try anything. That’s when I moved to a place where getting an ESA was an option.

That’s where Delilah Joy entered my life. Delilah is my one-year-old Diluted Tortie Maine Coon who is as talkative as she is sassy. She tells me how it is. If you know me, you know all about my cat. I never stop talking about her because she has saved my life. It’s not scary to go to my room where I live alone anymore because she is there.

She is always there. She needs me, and I need her. She has no idea what she means to me, but maybe that’s just because she’s a cat.

-Sarah Moore

2. Aryanna's life would not be the same without her guinea pigs

I adopted my first guinea pig almost three years ago and it changed my life forever. When Olive came into my life I was struggling with severe depression, anxiety and trying to maintain a healthy life with diabetes.

She brought me out of a suicidal state while also teaching me to deal with difficult situations with a true focus.

Just after she turned two years old I found out that I might lose her. She persevered which gave me the strength to do so as well. Shortly after her recovery, I adopted a sister for her. I was surprised to find out the new sister was pregnant!

Living in the dorms here at WSU with a herd of five guinea pigs taught me to live within my means and helped me realize that life may feel terrible but there is always a silver lining. Over these past three years, my lovely ESA’s have reduced my medication intake and improved my mental state immensely. I wouldn’t be alive today if it weren’t for my little angels.

-Aryanna Torres

3. Taylor's dog Koti gets her outside and experiencing campus

Having Koti at school with me has changed my entire college experience. It was really hard being away from home and coming back to a lonely room and a neglectful roommate each day.

My whole life, there was a happy dog there to greet me when I got home and to cuddle with at night. I missed that company more than I would ever imagine. But having him on campus with me gives me a reason to smile every single day.

Walking him gives me an excuse to enjoy the campus scenery, breath fresh air, and take a moment to be calm. And I never have to feel alone because he’s always there and happy to be with me, too. I couldn’t do this without him!

-Taylor Walker

4. Zoe's ESA Bella is the light of her light

Before I got an ESA, I knew the important role they played in their human’s lives, but I never knew just how important. I've had anxiety and depression for a long time. I had a hard time just getting out of bed, brushing my teeth and hair. These were wars that I often lost.

I'd have a hard time falling asleep then a hard time staying asleep. It was when I came back to WSU for my fourth year that I decided to listen to those who had been telling me to get an ESA.

I got Bella and trained her to be specific to me and my needs. Now it’s thanks to her that I can get out of bed. Go to class. Eat food. And then at the end of the day sleep soundly through the night. She's the reason why I can brush my teeth and my hair.

She is the reason I can now say I have won my battles. But many wars are still to be fought. With her by my side, however, I feel as though I can do anything.

-Zoe Chalcraft

5. Gina has helped her owner Hailey raise her grades and her spirits

This is Gina! Before I got Gina I had a lot of trouble focusing on school work and taking care of myself because I was more concentrated on the fact that I was so far away from my family.

Gina here allows me to have something that depended on me that I had to take care of, as well as gave me something to look forward to going back to my room too.

With Gina here, my grades raised, and I coped with being so far away better than I had before.

-Hailey Dober

6. Ashlee's ESA King has become an important part of her family

My life has made a complete 180 degrees from last year and that is all thanks to my ESA King. Anyone who knew me last year would agree with me when I say I am happier, more social, doing better in classes, and overall living a healthier life.

King has helped my battle through some of the hardest times of my mental health struggle. I don’t know what I would do without him. It sounds crazy to think a little kitten can change my life, but King has changed me for the better.

I am very crazy cat lady like when I say this, but King really is special to me and I treat him as family and can’t imagine life without him.

-Ashlee Creek

If you think you’ve tried it all and you haven’t looked into an ESA, I highly suggest it. You never know, it could be the one thing that actually works for you.

*Some names have been changed for privacy.