Dear You, Embrace The Boredom

Dear You, Embrace The Boredom

It's okay to not be "doing" something all the time.

68
Dear You, Embrace The Boredom

Aside from the obvious worries and pressures of COVID-19-the staying safe and life-altering effects of doing so- I've noticed that there's a new added pressure to our already stressful lives.There's been an overbearing emphasis over the past few months around this idea that we should constantly be doing something in what otherwise feels like a state of nothingness. Am I making any sense? If not, let me break it down.

Suddenly, everyone has felt the need to do things that they probably don't even do when the world is spinning right side up. Everyone's baking, painting, puzzling, exercising, organizing and re-organizing. I get it, there has to be some sense of normalcy and routine but it's as if everyone is going into overdrive trying not to be bored that they're burning themselves out.

There's no need to feel guilty over the fact that after working or schooling for 8+ hours of the day at home, you just plop back on the couch and watch a movie. Think about it- if you were commuting back home after school or work, would you feel as bad about throwing on your pajamas and climbing into bed?

Probably not.

So it's more than okay if you're mentally exhausted and don't feel like finishing a whole book in one night or you order pizza for dinner instead of trying some trending recipe. Side note- whipped coffee is not worth all the hype. Maybe I just haven't mastered it yet but I'm more than happy to admit that I'd rather just drink a regular old cup of joe that isn't Instagram-worthy.

I'll also admit that at first, I felt the pressure to "do" something all the time, too. Before and after work hours, I tried to stay as busy as possible by doing more activities in a day than I would have ever done before the lockdown. It was cool for a while but then it just got to be more exhausting than enjoyable. I wasn't just doing something because I wanted to anymore but because I felt guilty if I didn't; because I thought I might regret it after the fact; when would I ever get this much time to do anything again?

That's the thing though - I will have time. A whole lifetime in fact. You have time for things when you make time for them and I think that's what everyone is forgetting. We're binge watching shows as fast as we can and biking as far our legs will carry us as if we'll never be able to again. What's the rush? If anything, we're all learning to enjoy the little things just as much as we enjoy the big, extravagant things. Hopefully, we'll appreciate all the simpler moments even more when this is over and not take any of it for granted.

Everything is on hold right now and we're taking instruction day by day until we get back to normal. That's the way life has always been though, hasn't it? We take things day by day. We don't have to do all the things, all at once and if you're reading this then maybe you needed a reminder.

Of course, you're going to have days where you won't be able to sit still and spring clean your entire house. You're also going to have days where you literally just need to sit quietly, away from emails and texts and video conferences and just do nothing. Trust me, all of the above is okay. Don't burn yourself out. Don't think about all that you could be doing and just focus on what you are doing in the moment. Like right now, you're reading my article - thanks!

Also acknowledge that everyday is a day closer to "normal" if we all do our part and do it right. So embrace the boredom if it means we'll all come out safer, happier and healthier on the other side of this. Until then, hang in there!

xo,

Me