Elon Musk’s Startup ‘Neuralink’ Sounds More Cynical, Over-Hyped, and Unethical Than Extraordinary
popular

It really makes you think.

7130

The research of advanced machinery took a crazy turn when 'Neuralink', the American neurotechnolgy company, began working on their plan to implant brain machine interfaces. Elon Musk, the companies founder made the news when a pig named Gertrude became the subject of a technological demonstration after Musk introduced an implantable chip designed for the brain. This new startup company, which was built to give consumers a brain computer interface or (BCI) made scientists, innovators, and fans very skeptical after Musk hosted a demonstration to brag about the growth of 'Neuralink' since its debut in 2019.

The engineers and scientists that worked for Elon Musk would claim that he is someone that deserves praise because of his philanthropy and success. However, considering how Musk focuses on multiple companies at once, and tries too hard to delight his audiences (specifically millennials), business groups regularly see him as unprofessional. With this demo, Musk and Neuralink seem to 'discover' the fundamentals of brain surgery, which has existed since 1887, when William Williams Keen became America's first brain surgeon. This is no different from the other extravagant promises Musk has made about the advancement of technology.

Elon Musk claimed that 'Tesla' would develop completely driver-less cars by this year, and one million autonomous vehicles will be on the road by the end of 2020, neither promise was fulfilled. 'The Boring Company' spent time and money on digging a tunnel (first invented by Marc Isambard Brunel in 1825) under Las Vegas instead of building a revolutionized underground mass-transit system. As for Neuralink, the company says they will be able to cure ailments, which has medical experts agreeing that these claims are illogical and unmanageable, considering the amount of time it will take to accomplish. Despite what they say, Musk and Neuralink created a device that's no less different than other functioning BCIs.

Neuralink announced their idea to connect the human brain with a computer, which many scientists found ludicrous. Scientists are currently working on developing machines to help people with diseases to control devices with their minds, but Musk wants to give them high levels of cognitive activity to battle against AI. During the demo, Gertrude had all her movements recorded via the device, which Musk called a "Fitbit in your skull" and transferred the data to a screen. Neuroscientists were not impressed since recording neural signals began decades ago, while others say Musk likely watches too much "Black Mirror" and takes notes.

According to a report, the presentation Musk gave was not revolutionary, but the ability to place several electrodes in the brain is challenging and still being developed. The wireless transition of data and implantation of the chip was the most impressive part of the demo. In my opinion, the concept of heightening cognitive function in people via a implant chip is thought-provoking, but using a pig for scientific experiments sounds unethical and involving human beings in this research comes with risks.

Morality is pushed to the limit when technology is built to change the actions of humans. This could be seen as hacking the brain just like a computer. The electrodes linked to the brain will allow people to express their thoughts and emotions without having to subject themselves with verbal or written communication. While this device will connect humans to the internet, the main concern is figuring out what could link back to them, how this will be carried out, and why. While this technology might someday enhance the brain function of humans, Musk has to consider the ways to revolutionize society while still upholding ethics. Although these ideas will take decades, Neuralink is worth staying up-to-date with. There might be controversy and skepticism now, but perhaps one day, this brain implant design will become the astonishing innovation that Elon Musk has built it up to be.