Electoral College Confirms Trump As Next President

That's right. It's real.

6
Slate.com

The Electoral College has made it official-- Donald J. Trump has won the 2016 election to become the 45th president of the United States.

All 538 members of the Electoral College gathered in their respective state capitols Monday as well as Washington D.C. The electors officially casted their ballots for president and vice president based on who won their state in the November 8 election. Trump received 304 votes to Hillary Clinton's 227, putting him over the 270 vote threshold to be elected president.

"We did it! Thank you to all of my great supporters, we just officially won the election." Trump tweeted shortly after the results were announced.

Despite his win in the Electoral College, Clinton won the popular vote by about 3 million. This marks the 5th presidential election in the nation's history where the popular vote winner lost in the Electoral College.

Because of this, along with fears of a Donald Trump presidency, many protestors across the nation demanded that Republican electors ditch Trump and vote for someone else. This would have been difficult since it would have required a large number of so-called "faithless electors" to vote against their state's winner. Many state's also have laws that require electors to vote based on the will of the people in which they would either be removed from their position or pay a fine.

Ironically, more electors ended up ditching Clinton than ditching Trump.

Some of these rogue electors voted for a wide variety of candidates in states where they were allowed to break with the popular vote.

A Hawaii elector that was meant to vote for Clinton instead voted for her former primary rival, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders.

In Texas, two electors that were supposed to vote for Trump voted for men they'd have rather seen as the Republican nominee. One voted for 2016 candidate and Ohio Governor John Kasich. The other voted for 1988, 2008 and 2012 candidate and former Texas Congressman Ron Paul.

In Washington state, four Clinton electors went rogue. Three voted for Republican former Secretary of State Colin Powell. The other voted for Native American Dakota Access pipeline activist Faith Spotted Eagle. Tim Kaine also received quite the cold shoulder in that state as well. Instead of voting for the Virginia senator for vice president as the state's results showed, several electors casted ballots for home state senator Maria Cantwell, Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren and environmental activist and 2000 Ralph Nader running mate, Winona LaDuke.

Trump's win means that the election is finally over and his win is now official. The votes will be ratified by Congress on January 6th as each vote will be counted one-by-one before House Speaker Paul Ryan and Vice President Joe Biden. Trump will be sworn in on January 20th at noon.