Alas, my dear readers, I hesitate to write this article, for I'm not a pessimist - but we must address the serious issue that the economy is actually miserable. We can no longer pretend it is good just because production is up, for this does not take into account the full story of the suffering of the people.

Once upon a time, there was a leader with a strong personality. He was known for his outlandish remarks and prided himself in strength - a strong military, strong words, and.... a strong economy. Or so he thought. Weakness? Hide that from his sight at once! I shall name this man Prince Prosper. Alas, Prince Prosper loved to brag about the "low unemployment" and "strong economy" that depended on manufacturing.

In this land, once rich but now devastated, people worked three jobs just to afford a loaf of bread, and education prices were vastly inflated, meaning you needed loans to achieve an education - loans that took many years to pay back. It was impossible to live in any major city without multiple roommates, and even then, the cost of food and medicine was unobtainable, not just for the poor but for the middle class as well. People worked without pay, and finally, many people fled the country to teach abroad in hopes of a better life.

Oh, but from the outside, this country was prosperous, with their strongman leader putting anybody who defied him in their place with a sarcastic remark. He sardonically laughed and belittled others: "But my economy is so strong - it is so great." We all love glory, and this was his glory.

Many were not even counted in the unemployment statistics because they just gave up. How could this economy be so powerful and strong when the average person was starving?

Prince Prosper stepped out of his enterrage in an attempt to revel in the glory of his economy, but to his disgust, he did not see the results of his grand statistics: he saw people dying from treatable diseases because they could not afford medicine, he saw cramped living conditions perfect for the spread of infectious diseases, he saw people paying off loans for the rest of their lives, and finally, Prince Prosper saw emptiness and loneliness - people fleeing abroad in hopes of a better life.

"Wake me up!" cried Prince Prosper as he turned his head away - the best he could do to avoid this stain on his glory, the stain being that the average person was miserable.

Prince Prosper is not Trump - he is not anybody in particular. But Prince Prosper is, in a way, representative of all of us when we don't want to face the real issue that the United States has a broken economy. While some progress has been made, we are not addressing the root problem: prices of food, housing, education, and medicine are rising well past our paychecks. Speaking of paychecks, even if wages rise, they are not enough to counter the costs of these four areas of life. People are working multiple jobs just to get by, if they are lucky enough to get one job. Move abroad! That is our escape, but it will not solve the core issue.

We must address this issue. I realize that this article was darker than most of my articles, but it was a cause I must address. We can no longer be silent about this impending economic disaster. The light indeed glimmers through this overcast, and as I'm not an economist, I won't pretend to have all the solutions to this problem, for none of us do. But we cannot be Prince Prosper and turn away from the crisis and look at glory. Imagine how much more glory there would be if we found a way to heal this crisis.

My dear readers, what are your solutions?