easy tips to become environmentally friendly

Being environmentally friendly can be hard especially as a college student. Here are four easy steps that can get you started in this eco-friendly movement.

Use Less Water 

According to the United States Geological Survey (USGS), the average person uses about 80-100 gallons of water every day, that is A LOT of water. There are easy ways you can begin your mission to use less water such as turning off the water while you brush your teeth, running the dishwasher only after it is full, and take shorter showers.

Eat Locally 

Eating locally is a whole new experience-- the food just tastes better and you are supporting your local farmers. A good way to begin this journey is by going to the nearest farmer's market to buy fresh produce. It is also good to eat seasonal foods.

Get Reusable Water Bottles 

Sticking to reusable water bottles saves money and the planet. According to biofriendlyplanet.com, "about 38 billion water bottles end up in landfills each year..." and often ends up in our oceans killing "1.1 million marine creatures annually." These are just two of the many issues that result from the use of plastic water bottles so sticking to reusable water bottles can make for a much better living environment.

Eat a More Plant Based Diet 

Meat consumption leaves a huge environmental footprint! Livestock requires an intensive amount of resources as energy to maintain. According to thecoversation.com, livestock affects climate change, increase greenhouse gas emissions, and lead to biodiversity loss. Sticking to a more plant-based diet lowers carbon emissions and requires fewer resources to produce.