How To Avoid The Freshman 15

How To Avoid The Freshman 15

Eating healthy in college.
8

The Freshman 15.

These dreaded words inspire fear in the hearts of college freshman everywhere. We've all heard the stories about students who unknowingly gained weight in the first semesters and spent the rest of their college years attempting to work it all off. Speaking as someone living in the dorms, I know how hard it can be not to gain weight.

After all, we have an endless supply of pizza, cheeseburgers, and desserts at our disposal. We often take things that are inherently healthy like salads and smother them in the creamy dressing which takes away any nutritional value they originally had. Lately, I've been taking my healthy eating out of the dining commons and into my dorm room. Despite the fact that we don't have kitchens there, there is a lot that can be done with a microwave and fridge.

1. Oatmeal

It's super healthy and quick! All you need is water or milk and a microwave. You can also add any fruit you want on top for an energy boost

2. Rice cakes

These are super easy for a number of different meals. Usually, what I’ll do is put natural crunchy peanut butter on them with some banana slices! But you could easily substitute with almond butter and other fruits. For a more savory taste add some type of meat/cheese/spread!

3. Pre-cooked brown rice

A lot of grocery stores have these, and they are awesome. They’re already cooked so you just heat it up and add whatever you want to it! I usually do a little bit of cheese, some frozen veggies, and beans!

4. Hummus

Hummus is incredibly good for you and it has plenty of proteins and minerals that can give you an energy boost throughout the day. You can snack on it with carrot sticks, lettuce, or even chips!

5. English muffins

It's healthier than white bread and small enough to make for a quick meal or a snack. Can be paired with lox, turkey, ham, or even peanut butter. You can also add low-fat cheese and marinara sauce to make a mini pizza!

6. Tortillas

Pair it with some cheese and pre-cooked chicken and you've got yourself a quesadilla.

7. Frozen veggies

This is probably the most nutritious thing you will have in your fridge. Pop 'em in the microwave and you have a full day's serving of veggies at your disposal.

8. Frozen fruit

Awesome for smoothies or late night snacks. My personal favorites are raspberries, mango, blueberries, and bananas.

9. Lox

I love lox, and it's a great source of protein. It pairs nicely with veggies, rice cakes, or English muffins.

10. Cherry tomatoes, snap peas, carrots

These are super delicious low-fat snack foods, that are always smart to have around. These will eventually go bad, so keep an eye on them and make sure to eat them within the expiration date!

11. Trader Joe's popcorn

Trader Joe's is the closest grocery store to UC Davis, so it's where most students buy all their food. This super healthy version of my favorite snack is absolutely delicious and way less buttery than the real thing.

12. Dark chocolate

We all get the late night munchies, and chocolate is a good option. Dark chocolate is a great source of antioxidants and has actually been known to reduce the risk of heart disease!

Since there is a lot of expectation in college combined with high-stress situations and unhealthy food a lot of people fall out of healthy eating habits. Buying the right foods and snacks should make taking care of your body easier.