Do you ever wonder how people can run marathons and not go completely insane? How college students can write an eight-page paper in a couple of hours, and still manage to not fail? Or even accomplish what seems like a million things in one day? These people all have one thing in common: Mental strength. A lot of us don’t have as much mental strength as others because we have to train our minds to adapt to the obstacles of everyday life such as school, life events, activities, and socializing with others. Here are five habits that mentally strong people do everyday:

1. They strive to fulfill their purpose

Fulfilling a goal takes time. Mentally strong people understand this and channel their focus to the “big” picture. They look at long and short-term goals, and adjust as they track their progress. Taking on each day is a victory in itself, especially when it’s a tough one (we’ve all had those!). Knowing that you've believed in yourself enough to set goals requires self-worth, and you gain many attributes along the way like resilience, communication, and team building. Those life skills are important to the foundation of becoming a healthy, happy, and productive individual.

2. The desire to grow stronger

Mentally tough people are never satisfied with where they are because they’re continually striving to be a better version of themselves. It's the kind of perspective that can drive an individual to challenge themselves. Having the motivation and determination to reach for their goals are what makes it easier for your mind to crush those daily mental obstacles.

3. They have limits and boundaries

These types of people accept responsibility for how they think, behave, and interact with those around them. They don’t give others who are emotionally or physically superior the ability to knock them down on a good or bad day. They can control their emotions and set aside time to feel those feelings if they choose to. After all, it's not healthy to bottle up feelings! Eventually, they seep into your day.

4. Self-Love

People make mistakes -- it's human nature. To have self-respect, a positive self-image, and unconditional self-acceptance is an important part of a healthy mind. Needless to say, it doesn't mean for you to be arrogant, conceited, or think that you are better than anyone else. It means having a healthy regard for yourself and knowing that you are a worthy human being. Nobody is perfect, so why stress? Learn from it and keep moving forward.

5. A Vision

Mentally strong individuals set daily goals for themselves, no matter how small or big. Long-term goals are great, but they’re easy to lose sight of. However, when long-term goals are reinforced by daily goals and milestones, pushing closer to your dreams becomes far easier. Daily goals allow us to act on the micro while focusing on the macro. These can be anything from getting up in the morning to eating healthy or even exercise!

Mental strength takes time to develop, it doesn't happen overnight! People aren't born mentally stronger than others, either. At the end of the day, it's never a competition to see who's better. It's about who has stayed true to their beliefs and values as an individual today and wants to be a better version of themselves tomorrow.