It May Not Be Easter Anymore, But I'm Still Celebrating

There may be some hidden Easter eggs never to be found, but the hope of Jesus' return is anything but lost.

480
Instagram

The sun ticks across the sky,

And everything changes.

The world grows dark

From a passing cloud that wasn't there,

And I am left without the light.

The Light that promised me hope

Was snuffed.

The Joy that I sought

Was buried

And guarded by my fears.

I lose it.

My sight.

My sound.

My soul.

One.

Two.

Three.

Awaken the Sun.

No longer hidden but shining its face

On every darkness

Every fear

Every hopeless thought that doubted in its return.

Awaken the Sun.

The beauty of its light

As it consumes the dirt

And catches the fallen.

Awaken the Sun.

It delivers

It redeems

It rises victoriously against the night.

Does anyone still have leftover Easter candy?

I definitely do not because this was the first year I didn't get an Easter basket from my parents (ahem, MOM). Instead, I was left to purchase my own Cadbury eggs and jelly beans, but I didn't mind. I love Easter candy.

"Why is she still talking about Easter? It was, like, two weeks ago."

Good question, inner monologue!

Here's why: I feel like we drop off the conversation about Easter way too soon after Easter ends, and then we act like we can't celebrate Jesus' resurrection until next year.

I mean, we can, but how often do we actually go back to the Bible and purposefully celebrate Jesus' death, absence, and resurrection the way we do that one weekend in March or April? (Want to know why Easter changes? Read this!)

Easter may have been two weeks ago, but I don't want to stop reminding myself of the price my sins cost. I never want to forget the King who left Himself on a cross when He had the power to overcome torture and death. I especially don't want to lose sight of the miracle that is His return to life for eternity.

When we seek Him, we are told that we will find Him. What a hard promise to believe in sometimes, especially those days where everything goes wrong. Think of it this way, though: we don't doubt the sun's return in the morning. We know that its warmth will wake up the world every day. Even though we are not promised the sun's appearance, we trust that its light will shine through our windows and wake us up, day after day. Why, then, do we doubt the sun's Creator?

Why do we lose hope in our Savior's return? He returned after three days of being in the grave; He will return before the night is over. Why do we lose hope in His constancy? He is near to us in our times of brokenness and in our times of healing.

Easter reminds us that Jesus never leaves. It reminds us that though the moment seems hopeless, there is the promise of Hope's return. So, remind yourselves of this hope. Not just at Easter dinner with your family, but in July, when fall weather seems so far away.

Remind yourselves in the winter when you can't wait for summer again.

Remind yourselves during Finals, when good grades seem unattainable.

Remind yourselves when you lose someone, and happiness hurts. There is always goodness in the end because Jesus is the end.

"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."-Revelation 22:13

So no, it may not be Easter anymore, but I have reasons to celebrate Jesus every day. Easter is a reminder that darkness never wins. There are moments when everything goes dark in my life, and I long for the Son's face to shine upon me as it did the day before. It is in the moments of darkness that I understand why the sun is needed. It is in the moments of hopelessness that the Son provides the hope that fuels my desire to live.