5 Ways To Get Closer To Your Cat

5 Ways To Get Closer To Your Cat

Want to earn your cats trust, love and affection? Keep Reading.

23
5 Ways To Get Closer To Your Cat
Photo Credit: Unsplash.com

If you have a cat you know that it can be difficult to attain a cute and cuddly relationship with them due to their independent tendencies. Cats are a peculiar species and trying to understand them can be hard due to their nebulous and ever changing moods and unique inclinations. Although each and every cat's personality varies, depending on their breed and the way they were nurtured, there are certain behaviors and activities that you can carry out to help them warm up to you even more.

1. Catnip. 

It is a given that every cat owner knows about catnip and the stereotypical affect it can have on a cat's playfulness, but there are many different administering methods you can use to elicit a desired attitude in a cat. If your cat is hyperactive and you want to mellow them out in order to give them some affection, you can give your cat some raw catnip for them to consume orally to mildly sedate them. If you want your cat to become more active and playful, put some catnip in a sock or cloth and allow your cat to sniff and inhale it, which will cause a lively and fun reaction. By personally gifting your cat some catnip, not only are you influencing a reaction that will help you play or pet them, you are also making your cat subconsciously associate their euphoric feeling with you, allowing them to favor you more. You can purchase affordable catnip online or at your local PetSmart for $2.99.

2. Get some cat toys. 

Cats are very playful creatures and you may catch your cat occasionally playing with random objects around your house. If you want to build a more playful relationship between you and your cat, consider purchasing some cat toys that you can personally maneuver in front of your cat so they understand that you are making an effort. A cat toy that has a handle and feather or string at the end is the best option if you want to play with your cat on a more intimate level because it will allow your cat to associate you with fun, ultimately making them hang around you more often. You can purchase a cat teaser wand bundle that comes with four different attachable toy objects on Amazon for $8.12.

3. Stop bothering your cat when he or she needs space. 

Although some cats can be clingy and overly affectionate, all cats like to enjoy their own company to unwind and sleep during the day. As strange as it sounds, leaving your cat alone when they are napping and cleaning themselves will help you build a more trusting relationship with your cat. Granting your cat some space will allow them to feel more comfortable in any room without the fear of being annoyed by your uninvited grooming and smothering, influencing your cat to be around you more often.

4. Train your cat with treats. 

If you want your cat to come around you more often or want him or her to be more affectionate, invest in cat treats to persuade them for some love. When you purchase cat treats, you should shake the container before giving your cat a couple of treats in order to create an affiliation with the sound it makes within your cat's mind. Once your cat is able to identify receiving treats with the sound of the container shaking, you can use the sound to lure your cat near you when you want their company. You can also use treats to make your cat more affectionate by holding some treats in your hand and petting your cat for a couple minutes before you feed them to him or her. You can purchase different flavors of cat treats at your local PetSmart starting at $3.29 or at a CVS near you for $4.49.

5. DIY a cat home. 

If you are a cat person, you know that cats love playing and laying in boxes and enclosed spaces, so a way to earn some gratitude from your cat is by creating a playspace for them. Start by finding a cardboard box or large storage bin to introduce to your cat before you begin working on it. By showing your cat their future box, you are eliciting their curiosity which will influence them to watch you as you work on their present. Simply cut a small hole that your cat can squeeze through on the side of the box and tape closed the top and the sides. Your cat will love this new enclosed space that they watched you create and hopefully will associate their new cat home with your efforts. If you want to go the extra mile, you can place a soft blanket inside the box for your cat's comfort.

Regardless of the current relationship you have with your cat, know that small new activities and actions can slowly alter the dynamic between you two for the better. The age of your cat and how long you have had him or her does not play a factor in developing a better relationship with them, as cats are always up for new and different things, especially if it is with their beloved owner.