Dear Dad, Thank You For Always Laughing With Me

Thank you so much for all you do, forever and always.

640
Melissa Magner

Dear Dad,

I don’t think I’d be wrong in saying that our relationship is pretty different from a lot of fathers and daughters, and I am so grateful for that. Something decided to give us a unique (and often macabre) sense of humor, and that in itself is a big reason why we can always joke together and say things without worrying about hurting the other person’s feelings. I’m so thankful I have someone that shares similar thoughts, values, and ideals as me; it never fails to make our conversations fun and interesting.

From helping me with homework when I was in high school, to always being willing to do whatever renovation-projects I want to do with my bedroom (shelves, lighting, curtains, closet extensions, painting… the list goes on), you’re always up for lending a helping hand.

So many people (especially family members) compare us – and not just because we look alike. Your determination and ambition – humor and personality – all have played a major part in helping me decide what kind of person I want to become. Mom always jokes that we only understand each other’s sense of humor because nobody else would understand it, and I have to admit that she’s pretty spot on. I think it takes a special and very odd type of humor to laugh at and constantly quote the same things we do, whether it is stupid YouTube videos, weird stories, or movies that we find funny despite how odd they are.

Raised voices and dramatic dispositions don’t hold a negative connotation for us, rather, they hint at our extreme passion for so many topics and our unwavering readiness to voice what we think. I always catch us both thinking and saying the exact same things at the same time, and even though sometimes our tempers can be short and our voices can get too loud (we have to constantly remind each other to calm down over little things), it always comes from a well-intentioned place.

From zealous discussions to our constant jokes, I’ll admit it; if it wasn’t for you, I don’t think I’d have the same sense of humor as I do now. I wouldn’t be nearly as passionate about some topics (for better and for worse!) and I definitely wouldn’t be as confident in navigating my world.

It’s because of you that I have the confidence to keep my head high, assured that no matter what I face and what happens, I’ll have someone to fall back on. Whenever I get too stressed or I feel like I’m out of control, I know I have you to help me through it and set me back on track. The amount you sacrifice for both me (and my sister) is tremendous, and as much as I always joke about you (though, it’s mutual), I always will deeply appreciate it.

So, from the bottom of my heart: thank you so much for all you do, forever and always.

Love,

Melissa (aka LuLuBelle)