Ten Places In Pittsburgh You Simply Must Eat At

A how-to guide on where the food is.

1348

Are you trying to find a place to eat in Pittsburgh that isn't just Chipotle or Sheetz (and I love them both, I promise)? Well, here are the top places you have to go to if you're new to Pittsburgh, a transfer student, or even just hungry!

10. Pizza Milano

Now, I know some people are looking at this list and saying, "What the heck Dez? Milano's?" But look. Pizza Milano is the place that every college kid grabs a pizza. We just do it. We can't stop. I have this phone number memorized. The college special deal is a 16-inch pizza pie with a liter of soda for $11.15. You and four of your friends can eat for less than twelve dollars. Their garlic sauce is to die for and, let's be honest, the bartenders are super friendly (and know me by name). Milano's is a college kid's staple.

9. Butcher and the Rye

This sounds very violent. You sound like you're going to get butchered here. You won't, I promise. What you do get, however, is fantastic actual meats. You can pick any of them, too. They serve mussels, pork, rabbit, beef, chicken and duck. If you're adventurous, go here. If you're not, well, this is a list of must-eat places in Pittsburgh. You must be adventurous and go here. It's not the cheapest place to eat, but for a one-time deal, you can fork over $20 for duck pasta.

8. Meat and Potatoes

Everything here is fantastic. You can order something called 'Three Little Pigs.' It's a sandwich, but still, who doesn't want to eat their favorite childhood stories? Meat and Potatoes is hailed in Pittsburgh for their beef, which they serve in pretty much every way possible, and the newness of the establishment is a credit to the owners. Opened in 2011, it's become wildly successful, to the point where the owners have opened täkō right next door. Which leads me to...

7. täkō

Clearly I'm a fan of the Meat & Potatoes guys, because I'm giving their second restaurant a shout-out too. New to Pittsburgh in 2015, this restaurant is super good and super accessible. Their menu is clearly mexican style based, and they have an extensive menu of tacos and margaritas. The chips and salsa are to die for, if you're into that sort of thing, and the pollo asado is my absolute favorite. They're only open from about five to midnight on most nights, so get your butt moving and get there. Postmates it, if you have to. Tacos. täkō's.

6. Emiliano's Mexican Bar & Grill

Now, my friends introduced me to Emiliano's because of their happy hour. They didn't tell me about this place until my senior year, and I regret it! Emiliano's has something you are required to try as a college student/person/alien in Pittsburgh: Holy Guacamole. Emiliano's is Tex-Mex, so it's not authentic Mexican food, but the Holy Guacamole alone is the best reason to go there. Their enchiladas are great, their quesadillas are perfect, but the guacomole is crafted from fresh ingredients right in front of you at the table, and I've never had anything like it. If you want to go there for their Corona margarita and the Holy Guacamole, that's more than reason enough to go there and bring all of your friends.

5. Fat Head's South Side Saloon

Fat Head's is a burger joint on the South Side of Pittsburgh. Placed in old buildings on the Historic South Side, it fits right in with the entire feel of Carson Street. The inexpensive meals don't make sense, compared to the quality of the food you're about to get here. Also, side note, this is the first place I ever put a fried egg on a burger, which is apparently a Pittsburgh thing no one ever told me about. It changed my world. Fathead's has a bar and is always running T.V's, so you will never have to miss a game while in search of the perfect Pittsburgh burger.

4. Nakama

Nakama is the place that you save a little bit to go to. It's a sushi and hibachi restaurant, where they cook your food right in front of you and throw vegetables at your face. There's an in-house bar, and there are two Nakama food trucks traveling around. I haven't seen them, but tales have been told that they're wandering. If you're a sushi fan, this Japanese-style restaurant is for you. It's right on the South Side, easy to find and easy to get to.

3. Hofbrauhaus Pittsburgh

Hofbrauhaus is a gloriously authentic German style eating experience. Their emphasis on their beer, traditional German dress and fantastically German menu are all things I'll never forget. The live music in the wide-open main eating area is an amazing addition to the entire atmosphere and the loud cheers that would interrupt your meal anywhere else liven up the party. If you're more into eating in the library, this is not the place for you. But if you want good food, good times, and need a place to drag your good friends, go to Hofbrauhaus. Maybe go there twice. Or three times. If you spend all your money there because you go so often, I will reimburse you. (I won't reimburse you.)

2. Pamela's Diner

Now, I've never been to Pamela's, but it's on my 'go to before I graduate list,' because everyone tells me to go. Pamela's is the kind of diner that has a line outside every weekend, and it's the only true diner-style food I've heard about in Pittsburgh. They've been featured numerous times as a best place to eat in Oakland, with people claiming their crêpes are the best item on the menu. They only do breakfast and lunch, so this is the perfect place to go when you're nursing a hangover. The wait indicates there's something on the other side worth waiting for, and I can't wait to get there in person.

1. Primanti's

Now look, I'm sure, being in Pittsburgh, you've heard something about Primanti's. You have to go here. It doesn't matter if you like fries and cole slaw on your sandwich. You need to try this storied part of Pittsburgh. Take this history and put it in your mouth. It's one of the highest rated restaurants in Pittsburgh. Primanti's is the place that when you say, "I go to school/live in Pittsburgh," people say, "Oh, how's Primanti's?" Just do yourself a favor. Try it once. Try it twice. Go here. Trust me.

Now that you have a good starting list, get out there and eat!