​Two Duke Basketball Players Are Facing Serious Legal Consequences After Team Win

Duke's star freshman, Paolo Banchero, and grandson of head coach Mike Krzyzewski were charged with a DWI and aiding a DWI.

48

Following Duke University's win over Campbell on November 13th, two Duke men's basketball players were stopped by police officers and detained.

Around 1 a.m. November 14th, Paolo Banchero and Michael Savarino were stopped by highway patrol.

Michael Savarino is a junior at Duke University. Savarino is not only a reserve guard for legendary Mike Krzyzewski, but also his grandson. Savarino was driving a 2017 Jeep SUV registered to Paolo Banchero. Banchero is a freshman at Duke University and is one of the top freshmen this year. He is also expected to be a high NBA draft pick.

The pair was pulled over for a stop sign violation in Orange County, North Carolina. When the officer approached the vehicle, he stated that the vehicle smelled strongly of alcohol and that Savarino looked as if he had been drinking. When asked, Savarino admitted that he did in fact drink that night.

After this was admitted, the officer did a field sobriety test which Savarino did poorly on. Savarino was taken into custody and was administered two breathalyzer tests which resulted in a .08 blood alcohol level. Savarino was charged with a DWI for consuming alcohol and driving while under 21. He was released into the custody of one of the team managers, Grayson Sherr, around 3:30 a.m. Savarino's license was also suspended for 30 days and has a court date of December 9th.

ACC preseason freshman of the year and starter for Duke Paolo Banchero was released at the stop and only charged with aiding and abetting a DWI. Banchero was reportedly in the backseat of the Jeep and had knowingly turned over the vehicle to an impaired driver. In North Carolina, aiding and abetting a DWI can be charged when a person knowingly turns over their own vehicle to someone who is impaired or fails to prevent an impaired person from getting behind the wheel. Banchero also has a court date for December 8th.

Duke played again on November 16th against Gardner-Webb. It is rumored that Michael Savarino has been suspended from the team after not appearing with them for the game. Paolo Banchero was once again starting as he has consistently this season. While Coach Krzyzewski stated that they were dealing with this situation internally, he also stated that these are two different situations and they will be dealt with accordingly. The Duke athletic department released a statement that said "Any further actions as a result of this situation will ultimately be determined by the Vice President/Director of Athletics and University officials."