A Drug Dog Or A Dog On Drugs?

A Drug Dog Or A Dog On Drugs?

Getting an animal high is not comical nor beneficial to them.

14
A Drug Dog Or A Dog On Drugs?
Google

On March 22, 2016 in Tustin, California a puppy named Bubba was discovered in a motel room during a drug bust. The terrier mix belonged to 40-year-old Joshua West who has been arrested for a parole violation as well as possession of meth, heroin and drug paraphernalia—used needles and drugs were found at the scene. In addition, West has been charged with animal maltreatment after authorities learned the terrier mix tested positive for methamphetamine and heroin in his system. An unidentified accomplice was also apprehended alongside West for possession of meth and heroin.

It is unknown how the narcotics got into the puppy's system. Bubba could have consumed them or inhaled secondhand smoke. It is also unclear whether either of the men intentionally got the puppy high. What is certain is that West and the nameless associate are cruel for subjecting a puppy to such an environment. Luckily police busted the culprits in time before permanent damage or death occurred to Bubba.

Bubba has currently been on the road to recovery—detoxing—at OC (Orange County) animal care. According to the Tustin Police Department Bubba is now doing "excellent" and will be available for adoption through a rescue organization once he's fully recovered.

I find it shocking that Tustin police Lieutenant Robert Wright states on the matter, "This is the first time we’ve ever heard of someone reporting that an animal has been under the influence." It's actually not uncommon for animals to be under the influence. After all, you'd think most drug dealers own a dog—sometimes for companionship, other times for protection of not them, but their stash. Drug dealers and drug users who own animals essentially subject them to an unsafe environment.

Let's not forget about people who intentionally get animals high on drugs. I've witnessed others blow pot smoke in dog's faces on several occasions. Some find this activity funny while others recognize the potential risks of it. It's funny when an animal gets munchies, but is it still hilarious if they reach a state of paranoia? Like humans, we can't always know for sure what type of reaction an animal will have to drugs and since they can't speak for themselves how about avoiding the idea altogether. Stopping animal cruelty includes getting them high.