I Don't Drink, But That Doesn't Mean I Judge Those Who Do

It would be arrogant and ignorant for me to do so
88

Unlike more than 80% of college students, I do not drink.

This is not me trying to assert some moral or responsible high ground; it is just me stating a personal preference. And that's all it is.

Although I have chosen not to drink, that doesn't mean I think it is inherently immoral, stupid, irresponsible, or bad in any way to make the opposite choice. For me, it's not about what is legal or illegal. Frankly, I think the drinking age should probably be changed to 18. It's just not for me. I don't see the appeal.

Whenever I say this to people I worry they misconstrue what I am trying to say and interpret it as being judgmental and uppity, and I have been told as much by some now-friends of mine who, before they knew me, thought I was judging them.

The thing is, I don't care whether someone drinks. Like, at all. I really don't.

Now obviously I think it is important to be responsible and safe and take precautions when doing so, but most people who drink already know this and there are also people who never drink whom I would never describe as responsible.

It would be beyond foolish to presume that upwards of 80% of college students are unsafe, irresponsible, and stupid simply because they drink alcohol. For me, the decision of whether to drink isn't a moral one, it's just a personal one.

So, so long as you're safe and so long as you want to do so, keep drinking.