The Interview Process Is Actually Pretty Dreadful

Never sell yourself short and always be confident in your own experiences.

137
pixabay

As university rolls around the corner and schools start to take breaks, many people are prepared to find temporary or full time jobs. However, with the whole job looking process, comes the interviewing after finding your dream job. People are either really good at interviewing or they just can’t. However, even though many people start off bad at interviewing, with practice comes perfection.

Personally, this year, I have probably gone through dozens of interviews, whether they are on the phone, video call, or in person. That specific order, phone to video call to in person, is the level of difficulty. The phone interview is always the easiest because you do not have to dress up, you can have notes in front of you, and you do not have to talk to someone directly. I like phone interviews the best because it is the easiest to express myself without feeling anxious, nervous and intimidated. The video call is the medium level of difficulty.

With a video call, you have to somewhat dress up, as in just your upper body, and look at the interviewer in your webcam which can also make things a bit more awkward than they already are. However comes the hardest interviews, which are in-person interviews. You have to fully dress up, be prepared for any questions without notes and try to express yourself in front of many professionals. In my case, whenever a person directly asks me a question, I always get really anxious and nervous that I end up either mumbling or stuttering when trying to answer the question as best as I can. However, with practice comes perfect.

In the beginning, I used to take long pauses and repeat many words such as “like” and “uhm” which is definitely not a good thing. However, as I started interviewing more and more, it became a lot easier to communicate and express my skills and my passions to the specific position. There is a lot of advice that one can receive when first beginning to interview. The advice that I received from older students and professionals is to be as confident as one can. You are trying to explain to the interviewer or employer why you are the best fit for the specific position and why you should get it instead of anyone else. Confidence and flow are the key aspects to acing an interview.

No matter what, always be confident in yourself and with that comes the flow of your experiences and your unique story which attracts the employers and makes them want to pick you. As university students or people starting to look for their future careers, never sell yourself short and always be confident in your own experiences and stories and with that will come the best outcome that you are looking for in your future.