Why You Should Know About The #DrawtheLine Campaign

Where do we draw the line on reproductive rights?

39
Women's Rights and Citizenship Throughout History

On January 22, 1973, another leap, or as some may see it, a backtrack, occurred for women's rights. The Supreme Court passed Roe v. Wade, a law which granted women the right to a safe abortion – her right to choose and rule over her body. Prior to this law, women in Texas could only receive an abortion if her life was in danger. According to FindLaw.com, Roe claimed that "[Texas] abridged her right of personal privacy, protected by the First, Fourth, Fifth, Ninth, and Fourteenth Amendments."

Forty-three years later, abortion still remains as controversial and taboo as before. While a safe abortion is legal in the United States, many women are still frowned upon and judged for their decision. Women are ridiculed and often forced to hide something so vast from their loved ones.

As of November 13, 2015, The Center for Reproductive Rights will battle in the Supreme Court for another case of reproductive rights. The case, Whole Women's Health v. Cole, will determine whether Texas can shut down nearly 75 percent of their abortion clinics, leaving a mere 10 clinics left in the state. The case will be heard on March 2, and a resolution should be reached by the end of June.

In the midst of such tension, Draw the Line a new pro-choice campaign has arisen. Draw the Line encourages women from around the country to share their abortion stories. Their goal? To show the Supreme Court that women should be the ones to decide what to do with their bodies. That women should have ample access to a safe and legal abortion. That men in politics should not decide what a woman can do with her body.

Their website includes many testimonies of women who are advocates of reproductive rights. Women have stepped up and publicly shared their stories. In her emotional account, a young college woman named Rebecca became pregnant with her abusive boyfriend's baby. Prior to discovering she was pregnant, she had finally mustered the strength to leave him. In an emotional roller coaster, she decided an abortion was the best option for her.

Choosing to have an abortion is difficult enough for a woman, but add in ridicule and poor resources makes it nearly unbearable or impossible. Draw the Line encourages supporters to add their voice to the cause, saying "when politicians attack reproductive freedom, it affects all of us. It's time to speak out."

I draw the line against attacks on a safe and legal abortion. Do you?