Drake's Relationship With Millie Bobby Brown Indicates A Larger Issue

Millie Bobby Brown's Relationship With Drake Indicates A Larger Problem In Society

America needs to stop trying to normalize this kind of behavior, especially from celebrities.

76

Last week at the Emmys, some Hollywood Access press members asked Millie Bobby Brown about her relationship with Drake. She responded by saying she loved him – which isn't weird inherently, as I say I love a lot of my friends casually and definitely did that much more as a 14-year-old. However, the troubling parts came in the next few sentences. "We just texted each other the other day, and he was like 'I miss you so much' and I was like 'I miss you more!'" Millie excitedly said.

What?

What kind of a 31-year-old man texts a 14-year-old girl that he misses her? Because in all other normal society today, that is commonly known as being a predator. How then can Drake, a multimillion-dollar record artist, get away with that kind of behavior?

Millie went on to call Drake a "great role model." When the reporter asked what words of wisdom Drake gives Millie, she laughingly responded that the advice Drake gives her is about boys. "He helps me," she said, smiling.

Yes, because a 31-year-old man giving a young girl (still a child) advice about boys that are 17, even 18 years his junior is totally acceptable.

Of course, people are speaking out about this and calling Drake out. Millie Bobby Brown, however, sees nothing wrong with his behavior and defended him publicly on Instagram:

Teenvogue.com

Well, that's a nice sentiment and all, but Drake isn't helping Millie further her career. Furthering her career would be producing his own show and hiring her as the star, which he's not doing. And the "wisdom and guidance" he gives her is about teenage relationships. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but how is that so insightful? If Millie wants boy advice from an older male, shouldn't she be going to her father? Or a close relative, maybe? Not someone she's known for not even a year.

Sadly, however, Millie is not the first case of an older adult celebrity forging a creepy relationship with an underage girl, all of whom have gotten away with it. "She the People" posted this list of celebrities who have gotten away with things like this throughout the years, and the list is long:

Facebook.com

Facebook.com

After reading that, I was stunned. I had no idea that so many of those celebrities were involved in inappropriate relationships. Maybe the reason the public is so unaware of this issue is that it so often gets swept under the rug and romanticized via movies or books. But men, this is not okay. Taking advantage of young girls – and I'm not even talking about physically – is totally inappropriate. Taking advantage of a child in any capacity is not okay because their brains are underdeveloped, and they are immature. When I was 12-years-old (the youngest girl mentioned in that list is 12-years-old), I was totally moldable. I was kind and trusting towards everyone and held conversations with total strangers over the Internet like it was no big deal. Although I'm not saying that's the case with every girl on this list, I do think the vast majority were, in some way, groomed by the men that came into their lives. It's so, so easy to convince a teenage girl that you love her and that you care about her, especially if you're her first love and even more so if you're a fully grown man with experience in that field already.

Something needs to be done about this epidemic. If you're a man who finds yourself developing feelings for an underage girl, do not act upon them. If an underage girl finds herself developing feelings for you, do not entertain her. Simply wait, talk it out with a trusted person, and see where the road leads once she is legal and can make decisions for herself. Do not try to influence her with promises and manipulation. Do not try to win her affections by being overly nice and investing a creepy amount of time in her. Simply put, do not groom her. And for all the celebrities out there who have gotten away with this, shame on you. Shame on you for not knowing better. Shame on you for misusing your power. Shame on you for going above the system just because you know you can.

To the media: Just because a couple such as the old Kylie Jenner-Tyga duo might be "cute" and make a good headline does not mean you need to encourage that sort of behavior. I thought to myself many times how weird and creepy it was that they were dating before she was legal, and I wondered why nobody else seemed to think the same. I thought it was because the media glorified it.

To the law enforcement: What are you doing? You jump at every opportunity to arrest local nobody pedophiles, but you make no action to take down nationally, even internationally renowned figures. What kind of precedent does that set, not only for Hollywood but for everyone underneath them? By not specifically targeting the well-known people, you're subliminally sending a message to plebeians that if celebrities can get away with it, so can they.

And to society: Stop being hypocritical. You say you're in support of #MeToo. You say you want to end sexual harassment and abuse. You march and you protest and you post on Facebook. But when celebrities do it, you share their pictures on social media saying #RelationshipGoals.

In order to stop this trend, we need to make a collaborative effort to stop taking this lightly. Although I'm proud of the progress we've made, it really disappoints me when even in late 2018, events like this still happen and are normalized.