Needing Downtime After A Long Day Isn't Selfish

Needing Downtime After A Long Day Isn't Selfish, It's OK To Take A Break

We all need time to destress.

64

Whether you're working a 9-5 job or just had a long day in general surrounded by work and conversations with many people, it can be mentally exhausting. It's normal to need your downtime. Having to always be "on" and alert really takes a toll on you. I know that whenever I come home from work, I don't want to have a lot of conversation with my family, as much as I love them. I just want to sit down and relax and have some time to myself.

Have you ever had those days where after a really long day someone invites you to go out with some friends and you want to go but at the same time you don't think you can handle talking to a group, pretending you're having a great time but you can't stop thinking about your bed? We've all been there. Maybe going out with one person is good but a group just means that you have to interact and entertain so many conversations at once.

Everyone's definition of relaxing is different. I know for me, I'm either laying down watching TV, going on a walk with my headphones in, or just going on the computer. Even though sometimes it's work that I'm doing on my computer, it's still something different than what I've been doing all day.

Having downtime is giving yourself a much-needed break. It's not a waste of time, so don't tell yourself that. We're all human and it's impossible to function without a break here and there. If we didn't allow ourselves to unwind, we would eventually break. Downtime allows us to recharge, reenergize, and process things so that way we can be more productive.

"Live and work, but do not forget to play, to have fun in life, and really enjoy it" — Eileen Caddy

So, don't feel bad if you just want your me time. If anyone calls you selfish, they're wrong. Your alone time is so important and valid and people need to understand this.