Do's and Don'ts of Sorority Recruitment

Do's and Don'ts of Sorority Recruitment

31
Do's and Don'ts of Sorority Recruitment

When I was nannying last summer I read almost every single article about the recruitment process that was available on the internet. Now that I'm gearing up to go through recruitment for the first time on the other side, as an active sister, I've learned all about the recruitment process and what can make or break a PNM's experience. 

Here are, in my opinion, the simple Do's and Don'ts of sorority recruitment at Carolina:

DO... 

Treat each house equally during the first round.

Maybe you've heard about a certain house's reputation, or maybe you haven't. Regardless, each house has worked incredibly hard to put on a party for the PNMs, and it's unfair for you to go and automatically assume that all of the girls in there will be "shallow" or "rude," or whatever their "reputation" is. Naturally some houses will stand out to you while others will fade away, but you might be surprised by which ones you like if you give them all an equal chance from the start! 

Look presentable from head to toe every day.

At Carolina, PNMs wear t-shirts for the first two rounds of recruitment. In some ways, recruitment is like a competition to show your best self, so always try and look your best. If it is pouring outside, be prepared to joke about it...we've all been there.

Have stories to tell about yourself.

The goal of recruitment is to get to know the PNM, so have stories prepared! A common question is about high school activities... I would say list a couple, and focus on one. For example: I did a lot of musical theater, I was involved with my church, and I competed in the state competition for German and ended up placing in a few events. This will lead to more conversation topics and hopefully, since you'll be talking about things that you're interested in, will make the party fly by (in a good way, of course). 

Show your emotions.

Don't worry about looking cool during recruitment. It's an emotional process, so during preference round, if you feel the tears comin' on, let them come. I bawled my eyes out during preference round, and it had absolutely no negative effect during my time at the houses. 

Most importantly... smile.

Walk in and out of the house with a smile on your face. These girls could be your potential sisters!! 

DON'T... 

Letter chase.

Like I said earlier, focusing too much on one sorority because of their "reputation" is a bad idea. Focus on a sorority because you love the girls in the sisterhood instead! 

Talk about yourself too much.

It's good to have some stories, but don't spend the entire 15 minute party talking about how one time you were dancing on stage and your skirt fell down (#truestory). As much as the sisters want to get to know you, it's also important that you ask questions about them so you can make an educated decision during voting. 

Play with hair or jewelry... unless appropriate.

Pin your hair out of your face and only touch it outside of the house before or after parties. As for jewelry, don't wear a watch to any parties so you won't be tempted to look at it. Only touch, or talk about, your jewelry if a sister brings it up.

Assume anything.

Nothing is guaranteed during recruitment. You may be a legacy in three different houses, but that does not guarantee a bid! You still have to compete to be offered a spot in a sorority, and you may end up somewhere you never expected. 

Be disappointed if rush doesn't go your way.

You might not get your favorite houses back every time, and you might be called back to the same house every round (that you dropped the first round). Put on that smile and go to the party, because everyone ends up where they are meant to be. While this may sound cliché to some, it is true. Trust me.