Dos And Don'ts Of College

Dos And Don'ts Of College That Will Save Your GPA (And Your Social Life)

Yes, skipping class can be good sometimes.

186
upload.wikimedia.org

Summer is full of adventures with friends, working part-time jobs to save money, and sleeping in until noon. However, for college students on a semester system, all of this is about to end. For incoming college freshmen, this is an exciting but also intimidating period of time because no one really knows what to expect in college. To help alleviate that stress, here are some definite dos and don'ts of college.

Do: Skip Class

There will be times when your time is just better spent studying for a giant exam for another class, or attending a cool conference related to your major. Skipping class has always seemed taboo, but in college, some priorities are just more important than a regular day of class. Just don't forget to make up for what you missed, whether it's watching the lecture online or taking notes from your textbook.

Don't: Skip too much class

Don't be that one person who attends class only for the midterms and final. While some classes may seem worthless, skipping every single one will take a toll on your GPA. Skip the boring days, but don't forget to still study on your own for the material.

Do: Do your homework

For a lot of classes in college, no one checks your homework, and your learning progress could go unchecked all semester. It's up to you to monitor your own learning progress and make sure you're not carried away by all the freedom you now seem to have. If you don't, the final will be a terrible time.

Don't: Get so absorbed into classwork that you forget to explore the city you're in

While it's good to keep up with class work and study hard, don't forget to go out every once in a while and appreciate the college town you live in. Whether it's getting in touch with nature by hiking with friends or going on basic brunch dates with a date, remember to take a breather from school work every once in a while to relax.

Do: Join clubs and organizations

Unlike high school, there are hundreds of clubs and organizations of all sorts that you can join in college. They range from culture clubs, sports clubs, movie appreciation clubs to anything you can think of. Because there are so many, these clubs are a great way to meet people of similar interests and make friendships and connections quickly.

Don't: Join too many and stretch yourself too thin

Because there are so many organizations, it's easy to end up joining more than you expected and over committing yourself. Remember that classes and social lives are still things you should keep in mind, and it won't do you any good to be so busy that you don't have real time for any singular club.

Do: Make new friends

You'll be spending time with all these people for at least the next four years of your life, so why not befriend them and make great memories? Put yourself out of your comfort zone and talk to more people. Get to know others in your classes, clubs, and dorms, because these people will become your second family.

Don't: Cut off all ties with your old friends

Although college is a time for change and a time to rebrand yourself, don't completely cut ties with everyone you knew in high school. Just because you've changed in college, that doesn't mean they won't accept you anymore. Even though you're all in different places now this doesn't mean they're no longer worth your time. These people will still be there for you when you're missing home or need someone to rant to.