The Do's and Don'ts of Freshman Year

The Do's and Don'ts of Freshman Year

6
The Do's and Don'ts of Freshman Year

To all the freshman out there, I know you get a lot of advice. Some of it is advice you don’t want, and some of it is possibly some advice you never will need.

Personally, I wish I had received more advice my freshman year. For example, before recruitment, it would have been nice to know to buy more expensive makeup that wont run down my face all day in the hot Florida sun. Or that the first guy I made out with at the bar was not going to end up being the prince charming I may have originally thought when we started dating seriously. Or maybe that not every relationship from high school with your friends will last. So to the freshman my advice is short and sweet but could possibly be helpful in avoiding these future mistakes:

First, I want to make it be known that the FRESHMAN 15 DOES EXIST AND IS OUT TO GET YOU. My first dorm was apartment style, and that made the meal plan obsolete, to me anyway. (I made sure to get my dad a full refund since he bought me the most expensive one thinking that this was definitely the best thing for me.) So, my very first Publix runs ended in me buying French fries, brownies, and lots of snacks, you know, low carb high vitamin type stuff. Eventually I completely lost track of my diet and eating things ‘I knew would taste good.’ When spring came around I became a total gym rat and ate completely healthy and realized my new body was way more worth it than those mid-day sandwiches.

Next topic is boys. Not men, boys, because that’s what they are in college. This is a very important point to remember because you will get hurt. The biggest piece of advice I can give about relationships in college is to have them, because even though they may hurt sometimes, they are and will always be a growing experience, and that’s what life is all about, and that’s all I have to say about that.

Another thing, DO NOT SKIP CLASS. Okay, skip class on your birthday, live a little. Maybe even if you’re just having a really rough day. But remember that at UCF, attendance is taken really seriously. I didn’t even know that attendance in college was a thing, but it can be a big part of your grade and even if it isn’t, there is important information that’s always said in class that may not be in online lectures or the textbook, and you will get tested on it.

Finally, the big one. Partying. Going out is a great way to meet people and create awesome memories with your friends, but it can also ruin everything including relationships, your reputation, and your schoolwork. Remember why you are really in college in the first place. I’m not going to elaborate too much on this because we are all adults and shouldn’t be talked down to about drinking or going out, but everything good can be done in moderation.

Even after all of this my biggest advice is just to have fun. These are the best four to five years of our lives, so live it up and stay in school kids.