The Dos And Do-Nots Guide To Sorority Recruitment

A little help from someone who has been there before.

72
Justina Ambroz

With recruitment coming up, it can be very nerve-wracking because you are not very sure how the process works. To help people through recruitment, I have created a Do and Do Not Guide to Recruitment.

1. DO keep an open mind.

It's important to throw away any stereotypes that you left back in high school and start thinking what you really want to be as a person, and who you want to be around. Even those coming in with a few options that you want because you have stalked every social media page possible of each sorority, don't get caught up with one or two. It's likely that you might end up loving a different one even more once you get the stigmas out of your head.

2. DO NOT be rude to any house you go into.

Greek life all comes together once recruitment is over, even though it does not seem like it. Do not be rude to any house because you want to drop them right away. If you are rude, then you might get in trouble with Panhel and end up in no sorority.

3. DO trust the system.

You hear this phrase all of the time during recruitment. Why is it always said? Not to make you feel better. We say it because it is so true. You will find your home and end up loving it.

4. DO NOT freak out.

A bunch of loud, chanting girls all dressed similarly can be a bit intimidating. However, take a deep breath and just talk to all of the girls like you just met them in class, or just made a new friend.

5. DO check the weather and be prepared for rain.

I was not prepared for the rain one day as well as I should have when I went through recruitment so this is a BIGGIE for me. Bring umbrellas or rain jackets. Long story short, my Sperrys turned my feet orange, and my white shirt turned black from the jacket I was wearing.

6. DO NOT influence others about who they want.

Let people like who they like and don't try to change their mind. Every individual is trying to find their home, so let them!

7. DO dress appropriately.

We just do not want to be talking to you in the clothes you would wear one night out. That's all we ask.

8. DO NOT forget to eat and stay hydrated.

This sounds simple enough, like take care of yourself. However, sometimes it can get very hot very quickly in the house and nobody wants for you to pass out, so please drink some water in between rounds.

8. DO wear comfortable shoes.

Some heels are very cute to wear. You may think, "pain is beauty," but soon enough, you'll learn that you want to feel comfortable with what you're wearing. So if you can handle heels for a long period of time, more power to you.

9. DO NOT forget to buy cough/cold medicine.

You will most likely get sick either during or after recruitment because it is nearly inevitable. A bunch of girls talking in one small space does not help anyone's immune system.

10. DO drink lots of hot tea with honey in it because you will lose your voice.

Along with #9, you will most likely lose your voice from screaming over each other, attempting to have a wonderful conversation.

11. DO NOT forget make-up setting spray (especially if it's hot!).

You don't technically need this, but I highly recommend it. If you don't want makeup running down your face from the blazing hot weather or the rain, I recommend setting spray. You won't have time to go to the bathroom and make sure you look okay before going back into recruitment.

12. DO be yourself.

This is probably the most important point on here. Do not act or dress how you think that your favorite sorority wants you to. If you be yourself, then you're more likely to find a home that you love!