I Don't Want To Have Kids, So Stop Telling Me I'll Change My Mind

Seven kids and a house with a white picket fence might be your idea of a perfect life, but it sure isn't mine.
246

Growing up, I remember thinking to myself from a very young age that I would never want to have a baby because of how painful it looked on TV. Now that I'm older, I still share those same thoughts, but have more of a basis behind my decision. I don't want to have children, never have, never will. I've listened to my friends make up names for their future kids and babysat for family friends, but none of it has changed my mind. Do I like kids? Of course. Am I cool aunt material? Totally. Mom of the year material? Not so much.

My plan for the future is extremely centered around my own dreams. I aspire to become a national news anchor and honestly, kids don't really go hand in hand with that kind of work. Many times, I have seen some of my favorite anchors leave their dream careers for motherhood. Every single time, I never understand why, but I admire their decision. It's a big, admirable thing to give up your dream job to raise a child, but I could never do it.

However, not everyone thinks that this is a good choice or even a question. Quite frankly, I'm very tired of getting the whole "you'll change your mind one day" spiel because I honestly never see that happening for me. I am goal oriented, driven, and I almost throw up every time I change a dirty diaper while I babysit.

As much as I really do love kids, diaper duty is hard work. I get it done, but I always think "Man, I seriously could not do this every day for years." Moms are goal oriented and driven too, don't get me wrong, just in a completely different way. I have so much respect for women who devote their life to raising children, whether they have a career or not, because I know that I am just not cut out for that. I could never give up my career, or try to balance motherhood and a career. Call me selfish, but I'm being realistic here.

I dream of my future career, husband, even dogs, but I just don't see kids anywhere in that mix. So stop telling me that once I "meet the perfect man I'll then want the perfect kids", or that "Mr. Right will think I'm Mrs. Wrong for not wanting babies", or that you "thought the same thing when you were young and foolish". Stop.

Maybe seven kids and a house with a white picket fence is your idea of a perfect life, but it sure isn't mine. So let future me buy expensive presents for my friend's baby showers with all of the money I'll be saving on diapers and become a cool aunt to my sister's children in peace: stop telling me what I want for myself. Respect my decision and keep your opinions to yourself.