I Don't Vote And Here's Why

I Don't Vote And Here's Why

If you don't like this opinion, don't read this article.
1

As a millennial many people assume that I don’t vote for selfish and ignorant reasons. Well to be totally honest, I’m not even registered to vote and here’s why. Living in today's society nothing is ever taken seriously. I honestly have a hard time forming an honest opinion of any of the candidates when we as a society spend more time making the debate into gifs then actually learning about the topics that are being discussed. Young people get so much of their information off of social media, and I have no shame saying I am one of those people. When I log onto twitter, and facebook and all I see is gifs and memes about the presidential election, how else am I supposed to feel? Being one of the many people who don’t vote in this generation, I just want to clear the air.

Yes, I realize voting is important and that yes, it is on us to get the reliable information. But when we are constantly surrounded by negative outlooks on this election, how else are young people supposed to feel? They are made to feel like their opinions do not matter. When young people see everyone else's opinions daily on their social media, it’s hard for them to form their own opinions. To be honest, people are worried about the young people who vote now, but I see it getting worse in the future. Whys that? Because we are becoming a society where young people begin using social media at a younger age that has never been used before. How are they ever going to take an election seriously when all they’ve ever seen about an election is the jokes that are made online?

I also don’t think schools cover politics enough and there are so many unanswered questions, especially for young people. All these young people are going to be logging into their social media accounts during elections and see the constant gifs and funny tweets. Also, all they see, especially in this election, is the constant bashing of each candidate. They spend more time degrading the each other than they do preaching the topics that need to be heard. Though I do not take the time to vote, I wish I had taken the time before to become more involved. I just think that the way social media has affected my view of politics is the reason why I have such a small interest in it. I hope in the next elections to come I will be able to vote and have an actual opinion without the constant distraction from social media and political bashing.

For all the young people who don’t think voting is important, I understand you, but your opinion does matter. Though I will not be voting in this upcoming election, I hope everyone who does is well educated on who they are voting for. So everyone, from the girl who isn’t very interested in politics, but understands the importance, get educated. Learn to understand, and realize that your opinion does, and will always matter.