The whole idea and notion of rejection is repulsive. We don't want to hear "no" or any other soften version of it. Many people say to "take it with a grain of salt" or "accept it and move on," but that's not the way to interpret rejection in order to motivate yourself to be better and stronger in the future.

Everything happens for a reason, and so does rejection. During college app season in high school, I kept repeating a mantra, "I'll get in where I deserve." (In broader terms, adopt the motto, "I will get what I deserve.") This motto helped me deal with my rejection softly and be mindful of the true circumstances. The idea of "what you deserve" is essential. Take college applications as an example for this article. Your GPA, your SAT score--everything you do goes toward your acceptance and if you get rejected then what?

You have to realize that someone else worked harder than you. Someone else was smarter than you. Someone else persevered with far rough circumstances than your own. When you procrastinated, they didn't. When you were sleeping, they weren't.

This notion definitely sounds tough to accept, but it will help you understand where you went wrong and where others passed you. You start to accept your faults, your lack of motivation, your work ethic, and start to focus your energy towards becoming a better person because next time instead of getting rejected, you want to be accepted.

Spend your time counting your blessings and understanding your accomplishments. Where did I go wrong? Where could I have worked harder? When you get rejected, you don't want to torture yourself your entire life by thinking, "what IF I had done this" or "what IF I had just done that." Leave no room for "if's" because tomorrow when you get rejected, you don't want the question to be, "what if I had just worked harder?" You reap what you sow.

Those who might argue about luck--it's true luck plays a role. However, luck only plays a role when you have someone of equivalency or others who have less equivalency than yourself. Don't leave room for a very minimal chance when YOU could have been the person who worked harder and not the person who sits with the rejection email and letter in their hands, asking fifteen million "if" questions.

Your life will depend on how you change yourself and become better--that includes how you handle rejections and move forward. Don't accept it and move on. Improve and move on. Work harder and move on. Work smarter and move on. Empower yourself and those around you and soon you will get what you deserve.

(But if you get rejected by your significant other, TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. My above advice does not apply in the following scenario!)