5 Reasons You Shouldn't Take Him To College

College is time for a fresh start, and getting rid of him is the first step.

3033
Sheridan Cofer

I know, he's the love of your life. You're going to be together forever. He'd never hurt you. Maybe that's true, but more than likely, it's not. Relationships end in two ways: break-up or marriage. Your high school sweetheart might not be the one, and here's why it's better to end it before college.

SEE ALSO: 10 Things I Would Have Missed Out On If I Didn't 'Take Him To College'

It's time to leave high school behind.

College is your new beginning. You finally have a chance to get rid of whatever titles, stories, or labels you've had for the last 12 years at home. Bringing that boy to school with you (physically or not) is, in a sense, bringing high school with you. He knows the high school you, he knows what baggage you carry, and when he gets nervous, he won't hesitate to use it against you. This isn't because he's a bad person. It's because he's scared you'll move on. There are so many amazing people, new opportunities and cute boys in college there's no way he can fight being insecure. Don't give up your new beginning just because he's a familiar face.

Better safe than sorry.

If you call it quits on a good note before you leave for school there's good recovery time. If he's your hometown boy, then you'll get a good few months apart before you have to see one another again. Also, if you end things without any complications it could help the two of you be friends again later on. If you dated him, no matter for how long, he'll know you better than most people from home and will make a great friend. Going to college is asking for all kinds of problems with friends from home, new friends at school, distance and all kinds of unforeseen issues that could cause a lot of hurt you never intended. Also going through a break up at your new school with new friends is quite the experience. It's better to get it done where you know you have support from your friends and family.

You're holding him back.

If he's someone you really care about, look out for him. Neither of you knows what's waiting for you in college. He needs the same opportunities as you to explore his interests, make new friends, and grow into the man he will soon become. Having a relationship won't keep him from making friends and joining clubs, but it will hinder his college experience. Give him the opportunity he deserves to start fresh. The ultimate way to show you care for someone is to do what's best for them in the long run, whether you're in the picture or not.

You're too young.

You're starting college! This is your first taste of young freedom. While this is the oldest you've ever felt, you are way too young to be caught up in maintaining a relationship that's not worthwhile. It's easy to keep up a relationship in high school when you see him every day, he lives down the street and you share all the same friends. But college is so different. Maybe you're at the same school, but in different majors, clubs and are interested in pursuing other hobbies. You aren't going to want to choose between him and trying something new. If you're at different colleges, then you're about to be blindsided by the difficulties you didn't imagine would exist. How can someone hundreds of miles away affect every decision you make at your own school? Even I can't answer that one, but I promise you it's a real thing- a dangerous one too.

It's okay to be a little selfish.

This time in your life is about you! Old enough for your parents to recognize your freedom, but young enough to not yet start real-world responsibilities. With the stress of moving, meeting thousands of new people every day, and classes, the last thing you need to be worrying about is someone else. Take the first few weeks of college to focus on yourself. This is a new path of life, figure out where it's going to take you. Take the classes you want to, join a club you think sounds fun, and meet people who will be your forever friends. College is what you make out of it, so make sure that you are making the decisions for you at the end of the day.

College is what you make of it. Take advantage of every opportunity at hand, and most importantly do what makes YOU happy, not others.