Don't Stop Watching Disney Movies

Don't Stop Watching Disney Movies

Adulthood doesn't mean you have to stop loving princesses and singing along to your favorite songs.

25
Don't Stop Watching Disney Movies
amberlynnmckay4.tumblr.com

I'm 18 years old, so that means I'm an adult... technically. I'm someone who can legally vote, buy cigarettes and live on my own without rules from mom and dad. But even though I've grown up and am able to do all those things, I still like to obsess over movies like "Aladdin" and "Beauty and the Beast."

You see, there's this silly notion that animated Disney movies are strictly for kids. Although children are the targeted audience for G rated films, everyone should be able to kick back and belt out the high notes to "Let It Go" when watching "Frozen."

I can't stand it when people are judged for liking things that are meant or designed for kids. (I mean, don't get me wrong, of course there's a few exceptions to that. If I saw a grown 47 year old man in a shopping mall parking lot trying to squeeze into a booster seat, just because that's what he liked to do, I'd probably be a little weirded out.) However, something like a movie can be adored by anyone.

Personally, I think Disney movies are pretty amazing. The animation and special effects that goes into each film is spectacular. The same can be said for the music. The stories, characters and soundtracks have been with me my whole life.

And to be honest, I'm a sucker for a good sing-along.

Disney characters can be good role models too. I know some people will disagree and say that all "Cinderella" did was throw on a glass slipper and ride in a magic carriage with a hot prince, but young women like Mulan and Tiana are much different.

Mulan pretended to be a man so she could go to war and fight for her country. Tiana worked tirelessly her whole life to follow her dreams of starting her own restaurant in New Orleans. Their stories are inspiring no matter how old you are.

When someone is made fun of for knowing every Disney princess, catching Pokemon, loving superheroes, or anything in between, it breaks my heart. Anyone can enjoy these things. It's okay to be a kid once in a while. After all, let's face it, adulthood sucks sometimes and a movie or comic book can be the only way to escape it for a little while.

The stories, characters and soundtracks have been with me my whole life. It's so easy to turn on your TV and enter a whole new world.

Plus, I think a little nostalgia is good every now and then.