Don't Stereotype My Hairstyle Based On My Skin Color

I believe there is fruitfulness in hairstyles. No room for blandness.

73
Unsplash

There are many hairstyles that encompass this lifetime. There are many hairstyles that I do not even know the name of. Most people have hairstyles that are common in today's society. And then there are those people that have hairstyles that do not fit their profile. For instance, my hair is straight and long.

I am a black man who is designed to do the styles of: bald, low haircut, fades, spongy fade or dreads. But I am a spontaneous, weird, bold individual who does not fit in with a hairstyle that is acceptable for my skin color. I chose to go with a longer, relaxed hairstyle that would fit my persona. I call it a pompadour. I was born to be different.

I have had this hairstyle for over a year now, and I have gotten my fair share of compliments and criticisms. People have laughed at me, questioned me why I did my hair like that? I have even gotten comments like, "you are not white. Stop trying to be like them." It is just the unruly comments that I get from some people and "supposedly close friends." Most of the criticisms have been from the African American community, but nonetheless, I do not march to the beat of anyone else's drum. I do what is best for me.

Society just wants us to "stay in our lane," and never swerve or speed up. They like to fit us into their imaginary boxes just to fulfill their agendas or get us more approval from people that are not worth it.

I recently watched an episode of "Love and Hip Hop Miami" and there was this girl named Amara La Negra who was this amazing Dominican singer. I loved her accent and it had my blood boiling. And there was this producer named, Elijah Underwood aka Young Hollywood who is a Latin singer, trying to fit her into America's society. He was suggesting to Amara of how, "she should try and look more like Beyonce, and less of Macy Gray."

He did not really dig the hairstyle that she was donning. It is a very big puffy afro, which is vivacious in my opinion. And it signifies fruitfulness and liveliness. But Young Hollywood did not seem otherwise.

She acted accordingly, just how any person would, in that situation. She stated that "not all latinas have to look like Sofia Vergara or Jennifer Lopez. She is proud of her brown skin." And rightfully so. She should be proud of what God gave her.

I am honestly sick and tired of the music industry and the world in general, trying to make us into the same product that's been supposedly working for years. You have to have a low haircut or, or your hair must be tidy. That is so overrated and bland.

There are too many people with awesome, vibrant, and luscious hair to be subsidized to the status quo. Hairstyles reveal your personality. If you have a standard hairstyle for you, then it only minimizes your personality and would cause the perception of you to be, that you are just as any other individual.

Have some courage. Stand out. Be different.

If you feel there is a time for a change in hairstyle, then make that change. I made a change in my hairstyle 3 years ago, and have not looked back. Sure, there are going to be people that think you are crazy, but who cares!!!

Everyone is not going to like how you do things!!!!!

If you are white and you want dreads, then go for it. If you are black and want straight hair, then try that option. If you are a woman, you want to cut your hair, your boyfriend does want you to, then do it anyway. If he cannot accept the fact that you feel you need to make a change, then he only wanted you to fit his idea of you. AND WOMEN DON'T DESERVE THAT.

Don't don the "I want to fit in and not stand out, hairstyle."

Be yourself. Do what your heart is telling you to do. Don't listen to public opinion, because public opinion will only make you go down the drain.

There a lot of them, but not enough of you.

You are enough. And you will be doing the world a favor, by showing who you truly are....through your hairstyle.