No, We Don't Need A Straight Pride Parade

Just some food for thought on the idiocy of people actually wanting a straight pride.

20
Photo by Peter Hershey on Unsplash

No, we don't need a straight pride parade or straight pride month,

I've seen a lot of trolls online claiming that we need a straight pride month and parade since there are a pride month and parade. While there are trolls, I have seen people genuinely arguing for having a straight pride parade.

This is absurd. Straight people have never received the violence, degradation, isolation, unlawful discrimination, and not have rights like people apart of the LGBTQ+ community has. Being straight or cisgender has always been seen as the "norm," and has been celebrated, while people a part of the LGBTQ+ community are still severely discriminated against to this day. I mean, gay marriage had just been legalized in the United States in 2015 while many countries still have it outlawed.

Straight people have never been turned away from shops just because of their sexual preference or gender identity. Straight people have never been ostracized by their families because they have shared they are straight. Straight people have never experience the type of fear LGBTQ+ members have when being seen in public with their partners. They have never experienced the fight for rights and equality that they have. They have never experienced the social isolation and bullying at school, workplaces, and within families just because of who they are or what they love.

Everyone should be happy with who they are. Everyone should be proud and not afraid to be themselves. That being said, it has been a triumphant fight that is still ongoing to this day for members of the LGBTQ+ community. They are continuously fighting for the right to be themselves. They have earned and deserve a month or dedication of time to celebrate their history and how far they have gotten. They deserve to be able to be free and be themselves at a dedicated parade because of how hard they have fought and hurt, they have gotten in the process.

Whether you are straight, cisgendered, or a part of the LGBTQ+ community, you matter, however, the notion of having a straight pride month or parade is absurd because it's not warranted.