Don't Let That Heartbreak Ruin You, Let It Help You

My first heartbreak taught me a lot, but most importantly how to love myself

47
C-Heads Magazine

Everyone hates heart breaks, I mean they are the worst. It’s a pain that no medicine or medical procedure can cure. The only healing process is called time and sometimes it can take a while.

Surprisingly, I don't hate my ex. On the other hand, I thank him. He hurt me really bad, the worst I've probably ever been hurt before and all because I was madly in love. Everything I used to do was for him, he was my world. It got to the point where he was my only focus and I had forgotten about myself; about my dreams and my goals which he didn’t care about.

Being without him made me feel sad, depressed, angry, bitter and the worst, it took a toll on my health. I began losing weight which affected my self-esteem because, in my eyes, I was already too skinny. I wanted to look my best but it was impossible because deep inside I was feeling at my worst.

I also didn't have the energy to do anything. I didn't want to go out with my friends and I would end up at home in bed watching Netflix and crying until I fell asleep (I know, this sounds awful).

It wasn't until I went away for college where I realized that there’s plenty of fish in the sea, and particularly that they were willing to treat me better than he did. I began having feelings of resentment towards myself.

I realized that I had wasted my time. Most of us don’t even know what career to choose, so how do we know what we really want in a relationship? Secondly, I wasted my love by giving it to the wrong person, when it was I who needed it the most. Yet, most importantly, I realized that it's not a significant other who can give you the love you really need to be happy, that type of love is found deep within yourself.

I hated the topic of relationships, love, and breakups for a while. I couldn’t even talk about it without thinking of my past and tears filling my eyes. However, days, weeks, and months passed by, and little by little I began to heal. It’s true when people say that time heals all wounds. Thanks to that time, I began a process of curing my heart, my mind, and my soul, working towards becoming a better me.

I learned and accepted the fact that heartbreaks happen all the time and it's really just a process in life. This particular heartbreak helped me find myself, it made me stronger and a better person. I learned how to forgive, how to move on and not to forget that it is I who matters more than a simple guy.

I began with the most important step I’ve ever taken in my whole entire life which is changing my diet. I truly believe that the best way to heal is from the inside out. I gained weight to the point where I have been content with my body and I started to fall in love with who I was becoming.

Although this was a really hard time in my life, I'm thankful for it all. If I wouldn't have gone through this awful experience, I wouldn't have grown as a person and as a woman. To anyone who’s currently going through a similar situation, all I can say is don’t worry; nothing last forever, especially heart breaks. Put yourself first, always, because it is you who matters the most. Once you start taking care of yourself and loving you for who you are, you will attract somebody that will do the same. Heart breaks suck I know, but don’t worry, this too shall pass!