I Don't Have My Life Together

I Don't Have My Life Together

31
The Life of The Spirit

That’s right. I am 19 years old and I don’t know what I am having for dinner tonight much less what I am doing with the rest of my life. This bothers me though. I constantly feel like what I am doing is not enough and that I have to be searching for more.

The unknown is scary. I will be the first to admit that. I am the type who likes everything perfectly planned out and when the plan doesn’t work I get frustrated. I am not the live in the moment, spontaneous and impulsive type. You won’t catch me making a last-second decision for a road trip and scrambling to pack because my bags have already been packed for a week prior to the trip.

I am only going into my sophomore year of college, I have time to relax and let things be. If I stay up all night worrying about what I am doing this weekend, next summer, what class I am taking in the fall semester of 2018, firstly, I will be extremely tired the next day, but secondly I will be wasting my life away. Worrying is really just useless.

When I was little my mom always read me the book "Wemberly Worried." It was about a little mouse named Wemberly that, you guessed it, always worried. She worried whether the crack in the wall would get bigger, she worried if the tree would fall on her house, and she worried about school. She was terrified that she wouldn’t make friends. Then she met her friend Jewel and played all morning with her. She began to worry less than usual and eventually not worry at all. Call me crazy for thinking so deep into a children’s book, but Wemberly stopped worrying and started living.

If all I ever did was plan and worry about the future, my present will soon be the past, and I will look back on all the times that I should’ve, could’ve, and would’ve and not the times that I did. Each day that we are given on this Earth is a chance for a new adventure, a new memory. It is true that I may not know how I will get to my dreams, but I will get there one day.

As cliché as it sounds, today is the first day of the rest of my life. And it is for you too. Live for today. As Will Traynor says, “You only have one life and it is actually your duty live it as fully as possible.” If you don’t have your life together right now, don’t worry. Eventually things will all play out as it should. But for now, stop worrying about the crack in the wall or the deadline at the end of the week. You will get it done. Just don’t forget to find a joy in each day and live the life that you have because you only get one.