I Don't Have My Future Mapped Out, and It's Ok.

God has a plan, and it is greater than anything I can come up with!

73
Kate Bauer

As a people, we are so focused on the future. If you're in the workforce it could be when your next paycheck will come, or if you are a college student like me, it is more like what we will do when we leave college and finally have secured that degree. We are constantly bombarded with thoughts regarding what is coming next and trying to prepare for anything that could happen.

Typically, we don't like to share this information with others because society tells us that we have to have everything together and mapped out. Well, I do not have my entire life mapped out and that is ok. In fact, I have talked to several of my friends and what do you know, they do not have a concrete plan either! We have these conversations with heartrates elevating every second as we realize that we have no idea what we will do with our college degrees. It is petrifying!

The moment you look up from your busy calendar and come to the realization that you have no idea what your life will look like after you leave this four year institution, it feels like the rug has been pulled out from under you! You begin looking all around for some sort of answer to what you should be doing and if the degree you are pursuing is even the right one! However, instead of looking around and asking advisor's opinions, though they may be helpful, we need to be looking up. God has the answers that we are all looking for. No, He will not reveal His plan for your life one flashing, neon sign at a time, but He can guide you step-by-step if you allow Him.

As a very close friend told me the other night when I was in the middle of one of these "future freak-outs" as I like to call them, "God has a plan for your life". Now, I know that most of us have grown up hearing this and so it can begin to lose it's powerful meaning overtime. However, as I thought about those words she said, I began to feel the hope in those words yet again. God has a plan for your life. God has a plan for my life too. I have always known this and believed this, but it has greater meaning to me in college as I am asking these questions with fear for the future.

I have to come to the conclusion after many nights spent thinking and talking to close friends and family that, the future is coming, I can't change that. However, I can choose to work towards something that I believe in. I can get my college degree, any college degree, and look for God's guidance through it all. God provides, He will not let His children go through this life alone. He truly has a plan for all of us and all we can do is take one day at a time and pray that God would place us in the places that we are meant to be in. Because honestly, at the end of this life it won't matter what career path you picked (mind-blowing I know). It matters that you loved Jesus and that you loved on His creation, His people.

So if you are struggling with this as I do, bring it to God. Ask Him for guidance and to be patient with you in this life. Prayer is so powerful and so is the God that answers them!