Not Everyone Is Smiling During The Holidays

While this is a season of cheer and joy, we can't forget about those who aren't quite as joyful as the rest.

35
https://www.pexels.com/photo/merry-christmas-sign-1656564/

To begin, as morbid as my title may seem, I do enjoy holidays. I am not a modern day Grinch by any means. However, sometimes people forget that will this season brings nothing but joy to some, for others it can bring feelings of emptiness, loneliness, and sadness. Not all of us get to enjoy the luxury of spending the holidays surrounded by endless presents, holiday cheer, and our loved ones. Many of us can't afford luxurious gifts, fancy decorations, and are missing our most important loved ones. Myself included.

For me, beginning with Thanksgiving I feel an overwhelming amount of sadness and frustration. When I sit down at the table for holiday dinner, there is one face missing. My father. I'm not the only with a missing face at the table either. We often don't think to consider that not everyone is embracing the Christmas spirit for reasons like this. We don't consider how people like me are feeling.

For me personally, it is also frustrating. I don't want to be the Debbie downer of Christmas. However, since my father's passing, no birthday, holiday, Christmas especially has never felt whole or complete. It brings out anger and resentment towards my father which detours me even farther away from the holiday spirit. No one wants to feel angry at Christmas, trust me.

That is why I am telling you to take a moment and think of those who might be feeling a bit lonelier this holiday season because Pete Davidson isn't the only one feeling alone this holiday season. Lend an ear. Lend a hand. Lend an invitation. Whatever you have to offer, it is appreciated. It doesn't take much to make someone feel included during the holidays. Isn't that what Christmas is all about? Is it not referred to as the season of giving?

It is so easy to get wrapped up in all the wish lists, decorations, parties, etc., but that doesn't mean we should forget about what really matters. We shouldn't forget about the people in our lives who might be hurting this holiday season who might not reach out on their own. People don't want to take away from the joy others are feeling, however they deserve to feel that joy too.

While I may be missing my dad more and more as each holiday season passes, I am forever thankful for my family and friends who continue to put a smile on my face. My dad is not forgotten about on the holidays. We address our lost loved ones, but we don't let it take away from the joy and cheer that comes with being around the family we do still have. It's easy to get caught up in the presents and cookies, but I ask for everyone to just take a minute. Take a minute and reach out to those who might need a little help feeling the Christmas spirit. Spread that holiday cheer y'all!

Merry Christmas!